The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman

liantener's review against another edition

Pareciera un libro juvenil, pero tiene muchas cosas para adultos ... sin embargo la historia no llega a complicarse tanto. Gaiman cambia un poco su estilo para hacerlo más accesible, pero lo compensa con una muy buena historia.

bloom9159's review against another edition

Surprising in a myriad of ways!

First and foremost, I don’t like stories without a plot. Stories that meander and end up in strange and ultimately irrelevant (to the story) places are usually not my thing, mostly because I find it harder to focus on a book if it doesn’t have a strong central storyline. Which is why I was so shocked that I enjoyed The Graveyard Book quite a bit!

We follow “Bod”, short for “Nobody”, a human boy raised by ghosts in a local cemetery in order to protect him from the people that murdered the rest of his family. This protection, and who he’s being protected from, are the main plot of the story. Yet we follow Bod as he gets into all kinds of eyebrow raising magical mischief at many different points in his life, many incidents in which there is magic that goes unexplained. Normally I would say a book structured like this isn’t for me, but there’s an exception to every rule, and I’m so glad I picked this one up!

sophia_leone's review against another edition

adventurous dark hopeful inspiring medium-paced

mom22boys's review against another edition

Listened to the very well-done audio version. The whole family enjoyed the adventures of Bod.

jennereads's review against another edition

May I begin by telling my good friend Jenifer "thank you" for suggesting this book--especially in its audio form (a second plug by Grammar Girl was also appreciated).

I loved The Graveyard Book's originality, especially because it is geared towards younger readers. This book is exciting and charming. The main character, Bod (short for Nobody) is endearing, as are many of the other characters. After being untimely orphaned, Bod is taken in by the inhabitants of a graveyard. He grows up there and is taught a variety of lessons by those who are buried there. He often refers to the inhabitants by their name, birth and death dates and epitaph. He struggles with his desire to be among those who are breathing and his need to have the graveyard's protection from those who want him dead.

I can't pretend that I didn't wonder about certain things: where does he bathe?, who washes his clothing?, and, is there a restroom in the graveyard? But all of these questions seem unimportant in the end.

As an adult I was actually nervous bordering on down-right scared at times. It is a suspenseful and sometimes touching tale.

Audio review: I almost feel like you would be missing out more than a little bit by only reading this book. It is read by the author who does a very impressive job. The variations in language and accent are spot on. Excellent!

baileycowen's review against another edition

The audiobook is amazing, I love how simple, yet how profound and engaging this book is.

indiaswanderings's review against another edition

What a fun story!
Review to follow.

frost90's review against another edition

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is a ghostly coming of age tale about a curious boy named Nobody and the ghosts who raise him. It was so charming, and the way Gaiman wrote such distinct personalities for each character made the story so fun and interesting to read. I especially loved the quirky ways the ghosts taught Bod, and their solutions to a growing child’s problems.

The vivid descriptions of the graveyard itself, the surrounding town, and the ghost world made the book wonderfully atmospheric. This book has definitely became a favorite!

rachelmh's review against another edition

****3.5

tenderness's review against another edition

Bod shrugged. "So?" he said. "It's only death. I mean, all of my best friends are dead."
"Yes." Silas hesitated. "They are. And they are, for the most part, done with the world. You are not. You're
alive, Bod. That means you have infinite potential. You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change. Potential."

ETA Oct 2019: what a perfect October reread. I seriously love all the characters for many reasons, there’s such a cool spooky vibe to it, and the ending made me cry!! I love this book