Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

melthomp13's review

4.5/5

tinalynn510's review against another edition

Might be one of my favorite books I have read this year! I loved this book.

patchworkbunny's review against another edition

This was such a fun book, but with a little slice of serious at the core. I loved the road trip aspect, it kinda felt a little like a travel book at the same time, especially including places I probably wouldn’t read up on that much.

Throughout the pages, there are little scraps of their travels from Amy’s travel journal. Drawings and receipts that just adds an extra something to the book. Some of these even contain a hint of humour. It also includes Roger’s playlists. Usually I am not a huge fan of music in books but actually I recognised a fair bit and it wasn’t like it had huge amount of meaning to it. They have a certain vibe which was suitable for each leg but they didn’t spend too much time analysing it all. Of course, if you'd like to listen, there's a Spotify playlist available.

I liked that it wasn’t really a romance. Amy has bigger things on her mind than whether or not the boy sat in the driving seat is cute or not (though she does have eyes, obviously). Roger is clearly still obsessed with his ex, so much so that he completely derails the plan to go find her. The trip slowly draws her out and the growing friendship with Roger gives her a chance to work through things.

It’s made clear from the outset that Amy’s dad had died and there was some sort of accident. Amy is harbouring guilt in respect of this and as her travels trigger different memories, we learn what actually happened. It shows that grieving doesn’t mean you can’t be doing other things. The story is full of fun and adventure, even if she is sad inside. It’s possible to have both and I think that’s a wonderful message to have in a book. So often the central issue overrides everything else.

Whilst we didn't go on a road trip as such when we went to California, there's plenty that brought back memories. I especially liked the fact that Roger couldn't work out how to switch the headlights on. We spent ages trying to work it out in the rented Mustang and had to pull over. It wasn't where the manual said it was, that was for sure. Definitely one to read before embarking on your own road trip!

naomiiixo's review

I have found a new go-to author when I want to read something sweet, funny and also heartbreaking! I loved this book so much an I cannot wait for any future novels!!!

rpych2's review

Morgan Matson is very sneakily one of my favorite contemporary authors, mainly because her books are adorable as hell. This one is about two people who find themselves and each other on a cross country road trip. The characters are really cute, the plot is awesome, and it's pretty well written. Definitely worth a summer read.

cadyly's review

I really enjoyed this book. It had a great plot, realistic and interesting characters and the format of the book with the illustrations and photos really added to the experience.

I loved how both Amy and Roger had issues to work through at the start of the story and how I got to watch them grow and deal with these issues.

Plus, it made me really, really want to go on a road trip. :)

janina_reads's review

I absolutely loved Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. It was one of those books I wished would never end but finished in a few hours.

Despite the serious issues it addresses, it is never downbeat, but bittersweet and also funny in exactly the right places.
Amy and Roger are authentic and likeable. I loved the people they met on their trip (especially Bronwyn, Drew and Lucien), the games they played in the car and how they slowly and almost without consciously noticing it began to get to know and trust each other.
The illustrations were also great: the playlists, the photos and small comments, the facts about the states they travelled through (I can even say I learned something while reading ;)), the receipts from hotels, mini marts and fast food restaurants ...
A lot of food references that made my mouth water, funny road signs, a perfect ending that didn't wrap everything up entirely but left more space for Amy and Roger to develop and altogether simply the feeling that I, too, was on a road trip with Amy and Roger made this book an unforgettable read.

Definitely recommended!

natidelgadov's review

Un libro que me gustó pero que siento que no logró cerrar todo por completo, en mi opinión quedaron muchas cosas que quedaron sin resolver. A pesar de esto me encantaron los personajes y el crecimiento que tuvieron, las relaciones entre ellos y las experiencias que vivieron. Me he dado cuenta que me gustan mucho los libros sobre viajes y más aún cuando tienen fotos, notas y música incluidos.

jessethereader's review

This was a really nice read! I find that Morgan Matson does a great job of balancing a light hearted tone while also bringing in characters who are facing difficult situations. I think my favorite part of this book was just the road trip in general. It brought on a lot of nostalgia for different road trips I've been on! All around a nice summer read!

aelong1399's review

It was okay. Kinda cheesy, and at points if felt like a list. I want to go on a roadtrip with my imaginary boyfriend now, though.