1Q84, by Haruki Murakami

msantolla's review

I frequently browse the available Kindle books on my library's website and check out things that look intriguing. Little did I know, I was walking into more than 900 pages of tedious descriptions and drawn out filler. This was way too much Murakami for my tastes. I am annoyed that it took me so long to read it but I was determined to finish it!

papirfisk's review

adventurous mysterious reflective slow-paced

shanz77's review

I am a huge Murakami fan. This is probably my favorite of his books so far. I think this is a really beautifully confusing book which is what I love about Murakami's work. I don't recommend this for impatient readers, I think to get the best out of this book you have to relax and take the whole ride.

bschlotz's review

Murakami is, I think, the best of the modern Weird movement. The world is bizarre and surreal but internally consistent, although the reader never understands the How and Why of his world. He resists the "infodump" and in doing so, keeps the reader hooked eternally. I still have no idea what half this book was about, so much is left suggested and unresolved, but somehow that adds to the perfection. I will never stop being enmeshed in the dark mystery of the Cat Town.

autumn_melon's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

srwelch00's review against another edition

I had a few issues with this at the start, but got thoroughly engrossed in this strange but captivating world, and found it hard to put down to the very end. It's ultimately a love story, but wears the garb of a thriller/mystery. As long as this novel is, I found myself hoping it would not end too soon so that I could spend just a little more time with Aomame, Tengo, and the many other memorable characters.

Had it not suffered from the occasional cliche and the need for editing ... at 1000 pages, there's not much excuse for the repetition that occurs here ... I'd have given it a higher rating. Still, I'd recommend it.

SRW

cada's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

stasha77's review

I don’t know how to feel after finishing this. At times I felt it dragged on but at the same time I’m wowed by the storytelling. Something always kept me turning the page. It’s that Murakami magic I guess.

deirdreo's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective fast-paced

libreean's review

I know Murakami meant this to be 3 separate books, but my god, it could have just been 1 300 pg book.