Reviews tagging Panic attacks/disorders

Neon Gods, by Katee Robert

oakleylynch's review

challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious medium-paced

ashleycmms's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful lighthearted sad tense medium-paced

plumpaperbacks's review against another edition

dark emotional tense fast-paced

I DNFed this book back in August 2021 because, while I really liked the characters, I was uncomfortable with the smut and BDSM elements. However, Neon Gods has been in the back of my mind since then, and finally I decided to give it a second chance and just skip the explicit scenes. I really wanted to finish it, and figured it deserved a fair chance.

I didn’t expect to absolutely adore the book, or for it to be my first five-star read of 2022. I didn’t expect to find an adorable couple on the other side of the smut, one that delivered both grumpy/sunshine and obsessed boy, or for Persephone and Hades to completely steal my heart. I certainly didn’t expect the final quarter of the book to be so damn intense and make my emotions skyrocket as I sped through the final chapters even faster than I had the rest of the story.

I found the fraught politics of Olympus both disgusting and fascinating. I don’t entirely understand how Olympus fits into the modern world or where it is, but whatever. I can overlook that.

Also, I’d like to take a moment to say I freaking love Persephone’s sisters. I especially love Callisto and Psyche; I’m very excited for the latter’s book, and lowkey disappointed we’re not getting one for the former. This is absolutely me projecting, but I could see the eldest Dimitriou as an angry lesbian and getting a cute, soft girlfriend. Just saying, Ms. Robert. Just saying…..

So, overall, this book majorly surprised me. I stayed up all night to marathon it in its entirety and don’t regret a single thing. I’m glad Katee Robert has an extensive backlog and several upcoming releases, because I’m now insatiably curious. Although I have a feeling that none of her other books can top this one, because Persephone, Hades and their adorable puppies have stolen my heart. 🖤 (No, “puppies” isn’t a euphemism. It’s not one I’ve heard of, but just clarifying, just in case, hahah.)

Representation
  • queer protagonists (both are attracted to multiple genders)
  • side characters of color

doughtah's review

dark fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A
Neon Gods was interesting. To be honest, I went in with a couple expectations: this is a retelling of Hades & Persephone (I’m already predisposed to like it), and if it’s based on the gods there’s going to be some sort of power system.

Now, the book is ostensibly a retelling of Hades & Persephone. It’s more of a mob (?) setting where each of the 13 Olympians controls different parts of Olympus (a city in the modern world). Each of the roles is passed from one person to the next, ie. “Demeter” is not Persephone’s mother’s birth name, rather her title. While this is true, the characters who take on these roles use their titles as their names. It’s only the 13 Olympians, however, who have these title-names. Persephone is Persephone’s name and is not a title.

The book opens with Demeter surprising her daughter Persephone with Persephone’s engagement to Zeus, the main mob boss in Olympus. Persephone is terrified of this possibility because one of the rumors around Zeus is that he kills his wives (the Heras) and Persephone doesn’t want to be another dead Hera. Plus, Persephone’s been making plans to flee Olympus entirely once spring begins. So, she runs to the Lower City/Underworld and onto Hades’ side. While with Hades, the two of them come up with a plan to piss off Zeus and to keep Persephone safe before she makes her way out of Olympus. And there we have our story.

What I liked was sort of short: if you’re into smut, you’ll probably be happy with this book; if you like a bickering couple who also are soft with one another, you’ll probably enjoy the dynamic between Hades and Persephone; healthy bdsm relationship with lots of discussion; DIONYSUS WAS ASEXUAL YES!!

There was a bit more that I didn’t enjoy in this book: I didn’t like that this story was set exactly within modern times where a character could make a throwaway reference to UC Berkeley because it didn’t make sense. These characters are from our time, they know of the 13 Olympians, they even call them gods (so they worship the 13 Olympians?),and yet they don’t make any reference to the fact that Persephone, in myth, was the wife of Hades. They never refer to the original myths at all.

Another thing that confused me was the magic system. There's some kind of barrier around Olympus that makes it difficult for people to leave. There’s also a barrier around the Upper City that makes it difficult for people to go from the Upper City to the Lower City. And I don’t mean like culturally difficult, I mean physically difficult. There is a magical layer. And that’s about the only magic in the world. Which made me pretty disappointed to be honest because that was one of my expectations. :/

Overall, it was an okay book. A little heavier on the smut than the worldbuilding than I prefer, so I don’t plan on reading the next in the series: Eros & Psyche. I wish the author luck though! It’s an interesting premise.

thekassarole's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

a_libra_library's review

dark emotional funny tense medium-paced