Cemetery Boys, by Aiden Thomas

kp_thebrunettebookworm's review

This book will get you right in the feels. I absolutely adored it.

erakkorapu's review

adventurous emotional lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

narratricenessa's review against another edition

Confession - I really, really wanted to like this book more than I did.

If I were reviewing Cemetery Boys based solely on personal preference I would give the book 3,5 stars. What I really liked and what the author and the book did exceptionally well was representation, diversity, interesting story and handling the language.

Cemetery Boys has a diverse main and supportive cast, that covers the queer spectrum - which I think is really important. The fact that the main character, Yadriel, is trans is amazing and the author's portrayal of him, his everyday life and struggles is superbly done. I was also so happy to see so much queer representation in addition to various ethical stances the characters have.

I was more than pleasantly surprised when I saw that Spanish was not italicised in the book and that no direct translation was provided for Spanish sentences/utterances. This was important to me, although I am not a Spanish speaker because the story was told from a Latinx POV and the whole story would be off if there was a direct translation of Spanish sentences within the text or in a footnote/endnote. There is enough context surrounding the Spanish text that the reader can understand what e.g. the Latinx characters are speaking about, without necessarily needing to be fluent in Spanish. This choice just made the whole reading experience fluid and richer.

The things that I had "issues" with are related to YA as a genre and its tropes and the slight predictability of the storyline. Basically it boils down to personal preference. However, I recognise that I, as a 30-something-year-old woman, am not the targeted audience for this book. And that's perfectly fine. This book might not be for me and my preferences, but that doesn't mean it's a bad book or that this type of book is not badly needed in this genre. YA (as other genres) desperately need more diverse books - we need more books with POC characters, with queer characters, we need queer romance even if it does utilise all the classic YA tropes. These books are needed and we need to support them because it's important that people find books and characters that represent who they are and they can identify with.

Taking all the above into consideration, and not just my personal preference, this book deserves 4 stars and I hope it will find its way to more people because it has a compelling and interesting story as well as a great cast of characters.

honeysbooks's review

adventurous emotional funny inspiring mysterious sad medium-paced

aftgtrash's review

adventurous emotional funny inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

taviarz's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

I just didn’t find this book engaging. I think the story would’ve benefited from being 1st person from Yadriel’s POV instead of 3rd person. Love the diversity and a lot of the concepts just didn’t feel like it was executed as well as it could’ve been.

anna_t's review

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

mehezz's review against another edition

emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

rhiana_everest's review

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

emmakayy's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring fast-paced