lisdavidson's review

Helped to educate me on the topic of aging, which I previously knew very little about. The information was presented in a logical sequence and was very clear.

isaarusilor's review

challenging hopeful informative inspiring slow-paced

andyy_scott's review

hopeful informative inspiring slow-paced

danrue's review

Another book I dnfed at 60%. It was more interesting than I thought but ended up being too sciency in a way that wasn’t comprehensible. Also, I found the authors to be pretentious and annoying.

vanalanta's review

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

dianamih's review against another edition

hopeful informative inspiring slow-paced

brodysmith's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

apochemu's review

I give 3 stars to the book, but not to the study of aging and what we can do about it. I def think that should be funded and considered important. I certainly love the idea of lengthening our lifespan AND healthspan (being healthy into old age, not spending the last ten years slowly dying). Now onto the book review...

I first heard him on the Smartless podcast (hosted by Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, and Sean Hayes) and was really interested in his work so I grabbed this book from the library soon after. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but interesting nonetheless. I enjoyed the science mixed with personal stories. Some of the science was a bit much for me and so dragged a little, but I was still impressed with the work in that field and what they are finding. Some of it was repetitive (ok, I get it, aging is a disease) and it could've been more concise.

Basic things we can do now:

1- eat less calories, practice periodic fasting
2- follow a plant based diet
3- exercise regularly
4- don't shy away from being cold
5- don't knowingly expose yourself to harmful things (i.e. Smoking, pollution, PCBs, nitrates, radiation, etc)

Part 3 jumped around a ton (a lot of it barely related to longevity) and I think he's naively optimistic about our future as a civilization. But most of it was still interesting to read and sometimes my pessimistic (realistic?) self needs a little dose of optimism.

bookmenka's review against another edition

Jedna z najlepszych książek popularnonaukowych jakie czytałam. Jest ona dość mocno naukowa, więc trzeba się w to wgryźć, ale na końcu książki jest slowniczek, który ułatwia przyswajanie tej wiedzy. Dodatkowo, książka jest wzbogacona o ilustracje niektórych procesów, o których pisze autor, co w moim przypadku bardzo pomogło to sobie zwizualizować.

W ogóle nie czuję tutaj ściemy, a zaczęłam wierzyć, że może uda mi się poznać moje praprawnuki!

safakk's review against another edition

informative medium-paced