The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

ddeblieck_13's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful sad fast-paced

Really, really enjoyed this one.  Probably the writing is not technically amazing, but it's more than sufficient, and the story is good enough that it doesn't really need amazing prose.

There is very little wasted space.  Basically every sentence is the book furthers the plot somehow.  Some people probably enjoy that, but I like long, rambling descriptions of nothing, so I thought it was a little too terse.  Also, it was fairly easy to tell where the book was going as any "extraneous" detail was, in reality, foreshadowing some major part of the plot.  Again, I don't know that a book needs to surprise with its plot, nor do I think a to-the-point writing style is bad, but it doesn't really let the author show off at all, hence why I'm only giving it 4/5 and not a little more.

I'm not sure why it slightly bothered me that everything comes together so cleanly in the end.  Maybe its the fact that it makes it feel too contrived or fake when so much of the rest of the book feels raw/real/gritty.  I generally like a lot of contrived/fake stuff (Steinbeck, Dickens, Hugo); for some reason though this one bothered me just a little.

Still, I really, really liked this one.  The above are mostly minor critiques.  Especially impressive for a debut novel, I feel like.

yusrah's review against another edition

emotional sad tense medium-paced

rkaufman13's review against another edition

Ugh, ugh, ugh. Trite, contrived, heavy-handed...perfect Hollywood movie material, of course.

Despite the fact that I had to bail 100 pages in, I'm giving the book two stars because I guess it could have been a V.C. Andrews book. Yes, that's its only redeeming quality.

ruhi_reads's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

mcarch9's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

oz617's review against another edition

Probably the best book I read in highschool. It was a big part of what started my research into terrorism, and was definitely the first book written from a middle eastern perspective that I'd read. Also recommend the theatre adaptation.

evelien83's review against another edition

I have read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' about two years ago and loved it. At the start of this book I was not so sure I would like it. But instead I loved it. This is so great. I had trouble putting the book down to go to sleep.

evi05's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective sad medium-paced

eelaw10's review against another edition

emotional informative sad tense medium-paced

kycad's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative sad medium-paced