To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

meghanmurray's review against another edition

I never write reviews, but I felt like I owed an explanation for my 3 star rating. This book is beautiful, but like all literature, as society evolves, we feel uncomfortable with the language and thought patterns of older generations. I have no doubt that when it was released, the book was seen as progressive, but now it’s hard to read and not cringe. I found the story compelling, and Scout was an enthralling narrator. Atticus had an admirable point of view for having been born in 1880, and Jem was heroic. But still, it was disturbing to see the amount of racism that was acceptable and the amount of racists that were thought of as good people by a family that seemed to know better. I believe that we move towards anti racism by blatantly condemning racism and systemic racism, in others and in our selves, but Atticus seemed to feel we do it gently, by finding the good in those who perpetuate the cycle and without examining his own racist thoughts. I can’t be sure, but I think that the only reason I can feel that the book is beautiful is because I am white and see myself represented as a person with complex feelings, whereas Tom, Cal, and other POC are portrayed as one dimensional and accessories to drive the story.

nanettels's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

felinenieland's review

informative reflective medium-paced

hissukissu's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

I almost read it at one sitting. I liked the atticus character a lot and the vocabulary that the author used

fatima2's review against another edition

if god was real, i genuinely believe it would be atticus finch. i feel that he can do no wrong.

mittland's review against another edition

spent two hours discussing this out in the sun in my bookclub and we only scratched the surface. such a deceivingly simple book but how effective in its storytelling! scout is a fascinating main character to me, doesn't it almost feel mischievous or rebellious how she's given the task of telling the story when her older brother is thee archetype for a coming of age story?

carlijn_engels's review against another edition

challenging mysterious fast-paced

living_for_the_hope_of_it_all's review

adventurous funny mysterious reflective medium-paced

Oh what a silly book that was<3

honestly i did not expect to enjoy this as much as i did, but im glad i let my mood reader self pick it up on a whim!!

also, surprisingly, i understand what it was trying to do!!!

to explore the adult world and so many intricate topics through a child's lens was definitely a risky choice i think, but it sure did pay off.

the views about racism, class, gender roles, the education system, war, justice, etc. of a child are so much more unprejudiced and quite frankly — hilarious. to have them all challenged in different ways was absolutely delightful to read about without it feeling insensitive.

the characters themselves were so likeable and blossomed in the environment they lived in. the choice to make Atticus a single father in that time period (the 1930s) is so heartwarming and he is truly a statement that love and affection for one's children is not determined by their gender.

the N word was used A LOT and i was in fact flabbergasted at first, but after a while i found out that it had a purpose too so. that's just a head's up

UGH truly so delightful and silly and and and

such a summer read and a surprisingly good experience

sgee's review against another edition

I loved this book so much!! The story line was amazing and I will read it again!!!!!!!

countofpoictesme's review against another edition

inspiring medium-paced