The Man Who Died Twice, by Richard Osman

tasmanian_bibliophile's review against another edition

‘The Thursday Murder Club has concluded its latest meeting.’

Remember the Thursday Murder Club (TMC)? Four elderly sleuths from the Kent retirement community of Coopers Chase: Joyce, a former nurse and intrepid journal writer; Elizabeth, a former intelligence officer; Ibrahim, a psychiatrist; and Ron, a former union man.

And as Joyce seeks advice from the others about getting a dog, Elizabeth’s thoughts are elsewhere. She’s received a letter from an old colleague. He has made a big mistake, and he needs her help. The letter is signed by her old friend Marcus Carmichael, who is seeking a meeting with her tomorrow. Does Elizabeth remember him, the letter asks?

‘What a ridiculous question. She had found Marcus Carmichael’s dead body slumped against a Thames bridge at low tide.’

Buckle up. In addition to Elizabeth’s former colleague needing help over an opportunistic theft of £20 million pounds of diamonds, Ibrahim is mugged and injured. And then the murders start. Will the team be able to solve the crime? Can they get justice for Ibrahim? And what kind of dog will Joyce get?

‘Elizabeth taps her head. ‘My palace has many rooms. Some are dustier than others.’

How delightful it is to join the TMC again, together with their favourite police officers DCI Chris Hudson and PC Donna De Freitas, Elizabeth’s husband Stephen, and the resourceful Bogdan.

Joyce’s journal brings us much of the story, with various asides. Elizabeth works through the facts methodically and is occasionally surprised by Joyce’s insights, and Ron rises magnificently to the occasion as the various strands are pulled together. And Ibrahim? He and Ron’s grandson do some sleuthing of their own. All is not lost, even though Ibrahim’s phone was stolen when he had achieved level 127 (of 200) playing Tetris.

I have really enjoyed both books so far published in this series. The characters are well developed, there are plenty of different threads to untangle, and I though the ending was perfect.

‘‘And there’s the clue!’ The short-sighted lean further forward, and the long-sighted lean further back.’

Note: My thanks to NetGalley and Penguin for providing me with a free electronic copy of this book for review purposes.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

ewillhardt's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

ziggywiggy's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious

tilmanhenschke's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

lindseypeapod's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

rachoninsta's review against another edition

Exceeded my expectations!!! So funny yet so suspenseful, I couldn’t work out what was coming next. My perfect idea of a murder mystery, I’m so excited to read the others in the series.

franceselgar's review

adventurous lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

Ehhh, I was hoping this would get better but instead I found it even tougher to read.

I’ve got nothing against the series but come on, the last book was reasonably unbelievable and this just takes the biscuit. For a summer beach read I understand but it’s not a thriller or murder series.  The writing style felt very childish - I’ve read books targeted to YA that are written in a more adult, mature way!

I found that I zoned out during reading a lot more than most books, granted it may partly be down to the 30+ degree heat… but it’s just not one that’s grabbed my imagination.  Yet again I’m stuck in the position that maybe celebrity authors should just stay in the field they’re a celebrity in…

stewfurkey's review against another edition

funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

craig_w's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted sad fast-paced

at806's review against another edition