The Green Mile, by Stephen King

hisdarkmaterials's review against another edition

One of the finest King novels I've read! Beautiful book. Heartbreaking, interesting, funny. My only issue was that as it was originally a serialisation, sometimes the new 'chapter' was a little repetitive - great if reading weekly or monthly etc to catch up but a little annoying and confusing when reading as a single book.

anacmc's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

mokasin's review against another edition

Simply the best! I reread it for the third time. In three languages. This time in the original.

tbookramos's review against another edition

This is one of my favorite books. The characterization is just spectacular as is the imagery. Just a gloriously beautiful tale with splashes of King’s trademark supernatural bits just when you want them.

maae's review against another edition

dark sad tense

jennaorava's review against another edition

Jag har ju sett filmen så jag visste för det mest vad som skulle hända. Men boken var självklart mer detaljerad. Boken var lika bra som filmen och om jag gav halvpoäng skulle den få 4,5 men jag gör inte det så då får den 4. Jättebra bok men det var nåt med slutet eller känslan som gör att jag inte kan ge den 5.

ptimsin's review against another edition

King uses John to masterfully show the dichotomy of evil and good that pores through society. When the boys discuss the possibility of saving John once they learned he was not a killer, I felt King used Jan to tell us that he understands our frustration as a reader but there is very little that could be done. In the end, I accepted that there was no way out for John and the phone would never ring for him. John represented everything good but he never stood a chance against a society that only gave chances according to the colour of your skin. John’s miracle work and altruism was the obvious fictional aspect of the novel, but sadly the absolutely cruelty of the society that punished him could be encountered at any point in our reality. Looking back, I had hoped everything that wasn’t John felt as fictional as him, but that simply wasn’t the case.

elmira's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

stephenvhenn's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

I had always heard THE GREEN MILE was one of King's best and wasn't disappointed. King tells a tale that is both haunting, spiritual, and soulful. I was moved and surprised unlike many of King's books. My only regret is I didn't get to experience this as he intended us Constant Readers to: in a serialized novel.

ottoplayle's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced