missantarctica's review against another edition

Much has been written about the group but Sarah’s story is so unique in the tangled NXIVM web because of her physical distance from the tumour ridden heart of it. Her guilt is palpable and she’s done a difficult service by being so open and honest about her experiences. The book really highlights the pyramid scheme aspect of the group and small things she notes (the mysterious illnesses and even deaths of several of the women in Albany) say an awful lot. Thank you Sarah!

crrrash's review against another edition

I’ve always been into true crime, and learning about cults has always been the part that’s most interesting to me. I first heard about NXIVM when Alison Mack was arrested. Being a huge Smallville fan, I was so shocked it was ridiculous. Hearing Sarah’s story, her strength and the dedication to protecting others it took to blow the whistle was incredible. I loved hearing about her escape and her hand in the downfall of NXIVM.

readingwithk's review against another edition

emotional informative

I've consumed a lot of media about NXIVM and Sarah's story over the last couple of years and this is probably the best one because it's one of the only ones that's directly from her side of the story. It really goes to show how easily people can become brainwashed, especially when they just want to help the greater good.

I highly recommend picking this up as well as listening to the podcast "Uncover" and watching "The Vow".

amkimmel's review against another edition

Scarred
I found this book fascinating. Sarah Edmondson made sure to stick to her own story, mentioning other key players at points that they touched her journey, but not telling their story for them. I really appreciated that throughout the book she was sure to call out the NLP tactics used by the senior members of Nexium to control the group. Doing this made it much easier to understand how the sociopath, Keith Raniere, was able to break women down and commit all of the crimes he has been convicted of. I listened to the book on audio and thought Sarah Edmondson did an excellent job narrating, with inflection and emotion. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the topic particularly because of the way she made sure to highlight the toxic manipulation techniques used by Nancy and Keith, as well as the other leaders.

jenscozylife's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring sad tense medium-paced

byamyholland's review against another edition

...no matter what anyone else says, you are loved, you are whole, and you are already complete.

lizthelibrarian's review against another edition

It seems that I cannot go a month or two without reading a book about a cult, so here I am! Before this book, I had very little knowledge of NXIVM. This book will take you on Sarah Edmondson's twelve-year journey on how she got into NXIVM and how she escaped. It is a short book, around two-hundred pages filled with interesting details about how NXIVM brought people into the cult, and how it eventually blackmailed people into staying. I found my attention span ebb during this book, but I think it was because this book covers twelve years. Overall, it was an interesting read about a cult that recently got media attention.

rachel_rat's review

dark emotional medium-paced

ahavahlovely's review against another edition

fast-paced