Can't Take That Away, by Steven Salvatore

averyconfusedhomosapien's review

emotional funny hopeful informative slow-paced

miloblue's review

emotional hopeful inspiring tense medium-paced

fuckitupvato's review

this started out so light and fluffy and it got real fast, and i *love* that.

i love that the chapter titles have carey’s preferred pronouns, i love their love of mariah carey, and i just really loved this book. i teared up like five different times reading this.

really enjoyed it.

greenisthecolorofkale's review

really good rep but i just didn't like the 'queer theatre kid' stereotype going on

nik_alien's review

emotional inspiring

merlesstorys's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring tense slow-paced

My first introduction to a genderqueer person outside of the Hollywood biz as I don’t know one irl (at least as I know of) and it was really good.

I liked the writing style of Steven Salvatore as their depiction of queer youth today resonates with stuff I’ve experienced so far and they take a deep look at the feelings of their main character, Carey as well as the ones of their friends.

Which brings me to the characters in this book and I honestly love them all so much, it’s indescribable. Carey with their love for music and musicals, Cris with his unbelievable Charme, Monroe with her amazing fashion taste, Joey just for being a good ally, and Phoebe with -again- her love for musicals. They all get their peaks throughout the book and that is just amazing - and the most important thing in “Can’t take that away” is the friendship, not the ‘boo-friend’… I love it.

Next to the starting situation: it’s such a good idea, to show the main character in their natural habitat aka music/als with their ambition to become Elphaba, and just as well as her, defy gravity. Pun very much intended.

The only critic I have is that the ending is a bit too much for me. (Not the actual ending, but what happens after Carey and Cris are reunited. I don’t want to spoil more)
This small section means unfortunately a quarter star down from five stars, but that’s literally the only thing I didn’t like.

Also, can we please talk about the hardcover artwork? It’s insanely gorgeous (please insert the Gaga meme here about being amazing etc. :D)

cossettereads's review against another edition

Trigger warnings: Alzheimer’s, Assault (Verbal, Physical, Sexual), Blackmail, Bullying, Cancer, Death (Death of a parent, death of a grandparent), Emetphobia, Forced Outing, Gender Dysphoria, Grief, Hate Crime, Homophobia, Medical Complications, Queerphobia, Sexual Assault/Harrassment, Shooting (Threat), Suicide Attempt, Suicide Ideation, Transphobia

megan1307's review

4.5!

misssleepless's review

dark emotional tense medium-paced

alex_the_birate's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced