House of Hollow by Krystal Sutherland

bekkibee22's review against another edition

This book had something very odd and weird about it but oddly satisfying with the fairy tale feel to it.

We follow the book from the POV of Iris the youngest sister of the 3 hollow sisters, after years of a complete mystery that happened to them when they were children, the thing is they can't remember anything about it, they seems to vanish out of thing air and then return a month later naked and bedazzled, they looked the same but after a while they werent quite themselves with eyes that change, hair that went white and a few other difference about them, but that's not all they seem to have this weird magical power that enthrall anyone and lets them control them.

Iris and her sister Vivi are due to meet up with their eldest sister but she never shows and soon a feeling hits them both that something has happened to Grey, so they start to look for her and find clues in her old bedroom, soon they find out that she has been taken again back to this whatever world, so they decide they will save her, but it soon turns into so much more, when a man seems to be on the hunt for them and weird things happen with death, flowers and a putrid deaths smell.

Then Iris and her sister and Tylor (Grey's boyfriend) return to this in-between place and Iris soon discover that the mum hunting them is their father Gabe, this is when Iris learns that they aren't who they believed they are and are actually monsters who are wearing the skin of the 3 hollow sisters, and Gabe always knew when he was alive they weren't his daughters so want revenge for what they had done and also for himself as Grey made him kill himself.

Overall this never really felt like it was going anywhere when I read it and its ended on a somewhat cliffhanger of Iris and Vivi returning to do something, but we never know what and why and if they succeed. This has been one of the strangest books i have read and also a little bit of a messed up story.

jayykitty's review against another edition

4.5 rounded up

This one will stick with you. I finished it two days ago and can't stop coming back to the ending. There were definitely some slower parts, but the climax is haunting. I genuinely think I'm still processing the ending. I'm not sure if I want her to continue this storyline or not, but the possibility is definitely there. I think this one is gonna be on my mind for a while...

mads_17's review against another edition

dark mysterious

If you liked this book I would recommend We have always lived in the castle. So eerie, creepy and amazing.

chefkf's review

This book was just not for me. I was confused, bored and grossed out for most of it. I wish we got more details on the in between. This felt like it wanted to be a story about sisterhood, death, the afterlife, and so much more, yet nothing felt like it was happening, even though there was a lot going on. I understand why people liked it, just not my style at all.

pinkjelly's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional tense fast-paced

vashaava's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

The vibes in this book are amazing like omgg. The ending was disappointing tho for me personally

sonda_says's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

lizreed's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

nerdmuffin's review against another edition

Three sister go missing for a month as children then return, changed. This was a good story that really made you ponder how well you can really know someone, even your own family. It explores the ugliness behind beautiful facades and the rotten core behind perfect exteriors. Built on superstitions about abandoned places and of liminal times and spaces, Krystal Sutherland crafted a modern fairy tale mystery that is both hauntingly beautiful and horrifying.

skcoe's review against another edition

“My sisters. My blood. My skin. What a gruesome bond we shared.”

Okay but horror is a fantastic medium for a YA story about sisterhood and grief. Your young adult years are probably where you’re the most susceptible to having intense relationships with those you’re closest to, in one direction or the other.

“that’s a pretty heavy burden to bear, being everything for someone.”

Adding to that the way supporting someone in their grief can impact one’s own life, and you get a vividly described story that explores what it means to find a way to become your own person.

With beautiful writing, a mystery that you actually have a hope at solving yourself as the story winds, side characters to want more of, and some pretty gross but fantastically done imagery, this book was an enjoyable and quick read. terrifiant.

“Folie a deux, little hollow. Or in this case, folie a trois. Sometimes madness is catching.”