God of Malice by Rina Kent

toribarn's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny mysterious tense medium-paced

gloomydoomybooks's review against another edition

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5 stars

Gotta love when a great book comes with a great playlist

temptingpages's review against another edition

THE FIRST CHAPTER HAD ME HOOKED

All I can say is what a scene within the first 20 pages! Riña Kent sure knows how to captivate my attention and oh my goodness I needed to close the book and breathe after that scene. I absolutely loved this book! It’s dark and possessive and captivated my attention so badly I had to start and finish it in the same day! Killian is a psycho and I absolutely loved him for calling out her deepest darkest secrets so that Glyn could be her truest self. The book has twist and turns but so much actions that made me forget what happened in the past at times but then was exposed in the future. My jaw dropped so many times from this book but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Rina Kent is an outstanding author and you won’t be disappointed reading any of her books. Instead, you will be wanting more!

heranga's review against another edition

dark emotional funny medium-paced

rainbowmay32's review against another edition

Okay so, I came back here after reading the others in the series just to say that Killian is my absolute FAVE.

peeshy's review against another edition

challenging dark tense fast-paced

ravensatan's review against another edition

FINALLY!!

I like a good bad book, I find them entertaining. That was the only reason I picked it up, and also because my taste in men is questionable. But I swear to God, I found Killian so damn insufferable.

So I’ll go in order through the things I hate the most and took note of.

1. Sometimes we spend like 4 chapters on a single scene

It was like a fight scene in anime, where we spend like 4 episodes in ONE single fight. And it’s due to the fact that she describes EVERYTHING. It's a nightmare in slow motion.

First chapter opens up and we spend 15 pages on Killian's eyes. I get it, dark, no light, wrap it up. And there's also the annoying breaking the fourth wall. Every time a character was like: "And yes, as I said before I did this…", I was like that tiktok sound: Who are you talking to right now???

And despite the fact that she explains EVERYTHING, she doesn't explain the things she SHOULD. Sometimes a character was doing something, and the next, out of no where, there sitting somewhere else.

2. Talking like 30 year olds when they're not even 20

Why are these kids that aren't even 20, making threats like a 30 year old capo? Worst thing is, they're not ACTING as if they were older, they are just TALKING as if they were. So they seem like a bunch of spoiled brats. Every time Niko made a threat of skinning someone or sending them
in a casket, an angel cried, a bird lost a feather, and a tree died. It was so cringey.

3. Killian

He just can’t take a “no” for a fucking answer and it’s cringe as fuck. He kept pushing, and pushing and pushing. And if it were stablished, that it was Glyndon's style and that she enjoyed it, then I'd be like "oh, it's just her kink". BUT HE ACTUALLY DIDN'T KNOW THAT. So he was pushing her just to get his way.

It was so fucking annoying every time he would grab her or touch her, and she'd ask him to PLEASE let her go and he just never had the decency to do it.

I've never been so crazy against a male lead, to the point that I was rooting for her family to find out and kill him.

4. Remi and his lordship can go to hell, fucking annoying and cringey as fuck.

They were supposed to be ADULTS, and they were interacting like 15 year olds.

5. Contradictory

In some scenes, Killian says he's never hiding his true self with Glyn. And she actually believes it.

A few pages later, her inner monologue is "I need to see the real him" ????

It's that type of writing in which the author just keeps telling us things without actually SHOWING them. His father talks about how Killian is a monster, and how he just doesn't care. He talks about how now Rei can see the monster of a son they have. And then, he tells Kill that he doesn't have a favorite son, and that he sees them both the same. ???

The author keeps telling you how a character is, if they're quiet, brave, bold, etc, but she doesn't really show it.

6. Too sexual

Her family and the words “fuck” “raw” “stuffed” and "cum” should not be in the same sentence

They were talking about sex (and having it) every five minutes. She just says "Bye, I'm going to sleep" and he's like "…and dream of my cock inside of you filling you with my-" SIR, shut the fuck up. If I had a partner and every time I breathed they were talking about their cock, I'd leave them in a psychiatric institution and run for my life. And I’m a psych major.

Anywho, the ending was horrible too. It made no sense the complete hatred her “friend” felt against her. She did nothing wrong. I get that he used her, but why the complete hate speech?

I loved Cece, and I’d like to read her story, and Creigh’s too, but the writing is so damn bad I don’t feel like putting myself through this again. But probably will because I’m a masoquist.

1/5 star and it’s only for Cece

nicandbooks's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

She’s not the reason behind my happiness—she’s the definition of the word.

So Rina Kent's Legacy of the Gods series has been on my radar for a while and now it is complete, I knew I had to pick it up and give it a go. I was prepared for it to be dark - but I don't think I truly realised just how dark it was... or just how much I would like it. Glyndon and Killian attend rival universities on the small English island of Brighton and a chance encounter one dark night sets them both on a path neither could have predicted. Killian is not a hero - not by a long shot - but his character development is really interesting and the way he balances out the innocent Glyndon is perfect. There is not an overarching plot line, more-so just a world and rivalries that will continue to be explored. I loved meeting all the different characters and I cannot wait to keep reading.
(and yes I have put ALL of these interconnected Rina-verse books on my TBR so I can go back to where it all began!)

kimap's review against another edition

dark emotional tense medium-paced