The Henna Wars, by Adiba Jaigirdar

kindwordsgoodbooks's review against another edition

arguably not a lot of rom or com. lots of sad fall outs and it would make for a good YA contemp exploring race and sexuality and privilege.. but just not really a romcom? so disappointed in that sense. i adore Priti tho and would love a book following her own 4th yr!

bad_bookworm_h's review against another edition

This book was stunning! It had everything I want from a book, and in particular from a YA book. I think it’s a rare gift and a mark of true talent when an author can weave so many serious topics and discussions throughout a book while also being able to maintain that warm fluffy comforting sensation of a queer coming of age romance. The representation in this book was beautiful.

This book made me cry, laugh, smile and google my local henna artist!

Abida Jaigirdar’s writing in this book is a true gift to the world for sure. I cannot recommend this enough - please read this book!

nainajobin's review against another edition

emotional hopeful medium-paced

I loved reading a book with a desi protagonist, and the lgbtq representation on top of it made it so ❤️‍🩹  I only wish Nishat’s character was written slightly differently and there were more parts that developed the relationship of the two girls.

booktrovertgirl's review against another edition

This is such a cute YA book! Queer South Asian protagonists are rare even now, so reading this book was a refreshing experience.

Nishat has recently come out to her Bangladeshi parents, who think that Muslim girls cannot be lesbians. Nishat and her crush, Flavia, both decide to do henna for a school business competition, which isn't just a friendly competition because Flavia is appropriating Nishat's culture.

In addition to heavy topics like racism and homophobia, Adiba Jaigirdar handled the topic of cultural appropriation really well. It can be difficult to explain why taking only parts of someone's culture can be exploitation, but Jaigirdar explains it with emotions and the reasoning behind those emotions.

Also, you know how some YA books don't really feel YA and seem really mature? That irks me so I loved that Nishat's POV really felt like that of a young adult, with her friendships and the misunderstandings and the self centeredness that teenagers possess. I really really loved Nishat's bond with her sister. Most of the western world's YA doesn't show close bonds between siblings, and reading it was a delight.

TW: Homophobia, racism, forced coming out.

patriciahkiwara's review against another edition

inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

surperb's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

divya81_'s review against another edition

Do you ever cry out of joy because of how much a book means to you

whatcassiedid's review against another edition

challenging emotional lighthearted medium-paced

This was a fun read and Nishat's parents were so cute.

kyr's review against another edition

Beautiful story and prose, loved the representation. Story felt lackluster as if it was missing something

joanbereading's review against another edition

That was really cute!!! The romance was depicted really beautifully and I LOVED the sister bond.
The writing felt very middle grade to me so it was hard to get into and the book also felt longer than necessary but I enjoyed it overall.