It Happened One Summer, by Tessa Bailey

phitney's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

sahramahtab's review

not to bad but not good enough to have you struggling to put it down. the first few chapters dragged on but it got better towards the end. cute overall although the love interest grunts a few times to many (like why?)

ellenscor's review

acedimski's review

It Happened One Summer is the fun, addictive, sexy rom-com you‘d want to spend the hot summer nights with - despite the fact that it does nothing to help to cool off. Keeping an ice pack, ice cream or just some gallons of water near you is very much advised. Who would‘ve guessed that fishermen can be this hot? Not me, but hey I was devouring this book just as much as our guy Brendan devoured Piper. *fans herself*

Now, It Happened One Summer was just the book I needed at the time, and therefore, I enjoyed it throughout. It was light, fun, and hot. But unfortunately, my obsession kept itself back with this one. While I did binge the book, it was more because I just needed a night off with a good toe-curling rom-com, and not because I was so invested in the romance between Piper and Brendan.

It-Girl from the big city meets small-town fishermen captain? Upturning her whole life? Finding joy in a place she never thought she would set foot in? Not anything we haven‘t seen before in one way or the other. The small-town-romance trope is not one I would count among my favorites, but I can appreciate it for what it is. Even if the stereotypes went a bit overboard with how exaggerated they were. Which wouldn‘t have been a bad way if it weren‘t for the fact that the development of the characters failed to convince me. From what I‘ve seen, people either love or dislike Piper from the get-go, and I‘m suprised to say I count myself in the former group. While spoiled, rich-kid characters are usually not the ones I can relate to or have much of understanding for, I loved to see such a character in a book. Yes, make her wear floppy hats, walk in tight dresses and with lots of make-up on. I was ready to see a character like her show that the inside doesn‘t always match up with the prejudices that come with her outside. However, Piper did slightly disappointed me in that department. Simply because we are presented with two different people if we compare her character from the start and end of the book, without being truly shown the development. Not that I‘m saying the development itself wouldn‘t be convincing. It‘s just that all the steps, all the layers she kept peeling off happened in quick instances, were more often told than shown, and lacked some depth. Which is also an issue I had with the romance, and Brendan. The male protagonist of this rom-com had its own package to carry, and lots of issues to resolve, one of the lasting seven years. Once more, I felt like the decisions he made weren‘t the problem for they were plausible. It just happened so quick without any time to explore the deep meaning of it all that it made it less convincing on the greater scale. I just feel like they was so much potential with the past these two clung to that it was sad how little we saw of them truly dealing with it.

And same goes for the romance. Was it hot? Oh yes, toe-curling hot. Like I‘m never gonna look at hospitals, boats, kitchens and what not the same way again. I don‘t know if I‘ll be able to go and buy a jeans the same way again. Okay, maybe I‘m exaggerating, but the bottom line is: the romance is steamy, hot and addicting. But aside from that, I wasn‘t able to get as invested because it unfortunately lacked depth. Brendon and Piper‘s start was rocky, filled with prejudices and mean banter which itself is very promising. However, they moved on a bit too quick to lovey-dovey. Since the physical attraction had been there from the beginning, I wouldn‘t have minded to see them explore some fun before falling head over heels instead of having the L-word ready at their lips after … two? Three weeks? It felt a bit over-the-top, cheesy at times, and I might have cringed once or twice about the possessiveness of Brendan.

Finishing this book, I couldn‘t keep myself from comparing it to Book Lovers by Emily Henry which was the rom-com I‘ve read before, and while it tackles the trope in different ways, some similiarities were there. What I prefered about Emily Henry‘s take was that she took the time to get into the depth of her characters. I was not only invested in the banter, the early animosity, but also in the chemistry and love between them. While yes, It Happened One Summer is definitely steamier, the characters in Book Lovers felt more like forming a bond, making the whole hard decision of „Should I return to the city or stay in town?“ believable. However, what I did enjoy more about It Happened One Summer (aside from the hot scenes, because damn I’m still fanning myself) was the sisterly bond between Piper and Hannah. Sure, this one wasn‘t tainted by its own problems as with Nora and Libby in Book Lovers, but that being something I didn‘t much enjoy in that book (no matter how I agree its relevance to the plot), I loved how Piper and Hannah had each other‘s backs in this one, not only supporting the other but also showing understanding and affection through small gestures. Generally, I loved Hannah as a secondary character and to say I‘m excited for her and Fox‘s story in the sequel is an understatement.

However, all the issues I had with this one can be categorized as „minor“ because if I‘m being honest, I didn‘t pick up this book for the look-out of any depth, but because I wanted to have a fun and quick time with it, and in that case, it delivered. I‘ve enjoyed the book, binged most of it during one night, and definitely understand the hype around it as a great summer read. It offers fun, banter, and some very good and hot scenes. (Me continuing to mention those really show how much I appreciated them *laughs*) Did this book leave any bigger impact on me? Not necessarily. Did I still enjoy it? Absolutely. Despite the few issues I‘ve had with it, I can see myself rereading it. Because let‘s be honest: Captain Brendan Taggert losing it after dinner? That scene alone is worth it.

keepcalmblogon's review

lighthearted medium-paced

I had a hard time giving this book a star rating because I didn’t feel like I should like it as much as I did due to the stigma around romance, but I found this story to have a good plot, complex characters, & well-written smut. So, I’m giving it 4 stars because there were still a few things here & there I didn’t like or believe.

I found it quite interesting to be inside the head of a character with whom I did not relate. Piper & I are total opposites & the only reason I felt like she’d be kind to me IRL is because she truly is kind, & I’d probably remind her of her sister Hannah. Despite Piper’s high maintenance, I wouldn’t describe her as superficial. She might seem that way to anyone who didn’t know her, but right off the bat, Piper would get lost in thought & have deep, complex feelings. When given the opportunity to be snooty vs. polite, she always picked polite. In the end, I rooted for Piper & she deserved everything she got.

Brendan is also a complex character despite his outwardly stoic, rigid nature. When peeking inside his head, Brendan is a very emotional man. There were only two scenes in the entire story in which Brendan acted before he thought, otherwise, he was very considerate. The only character flaw I found with Brendan was that he used the term of endearment baby & it didn’t feel natural coming from him. He’s a mildly old fashioned, gruff fisherman, I could see him using something like sugar or darling. Baby sounded too much like a city-slick womanizer.

One of my favorite aspects of Tessa Bailey’s writing in this book was her wholly original use of adjectives & nouns for certain sex organs & actions. I won’t give examples so we can keep this as PG as possible ;)

SpoilerSPOILERS: But the one scene I didn’t believe for a second was when Hannah pushed Piper to go back to LA & then told Brendan that she probably won’t come back. It was totally unlike Hannah to stop believing in Piper & basically tell her to give up. I completely understand that, as a plot device, it was a pretty big climax to send Piper away & have Brendan show up in a huge romantic gesture, but using that at the sake of the characters’ principles was kind of cheap.

kat_ze's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

e_asw_97's review

emotional reflective fast-paced

prttyfun's review

a text at 5:41 pm sent to my mother three minutes after reading this book which states, quote, “male wife brendan, we love him”

katogo's review against another edition

Onverwacht vond ik dit een heel leuk boek. Het begin lag me niet helemaal, maar vanaf de meisjes in het dorpje kwamen voelde ik de sfeer helemaal. De gevoelens tussen de hoofdpersonages waren goed voelbaar en ik vond het heel leuk dat je ook het verhaal kreeg van de bar die ze een make-over gaven.

pmdbnt's review