Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard

paulabrandon's review against another edition

Natalie O'Connor is a popular Irish Instagram influencer who goes to stay at Shanamore Cottages, hoping to find evidence for the strange things going on in her life. During the night, she is murdered.

Audrey Coughlan is an entertainment tabloid journalist wanting to move into proper reporting, who is handed an assignment to cover Natalie being reported missing. Digging deep, Audrey scores an interview with Natalie's husband, Mike, and also gets a tip from someone that Natalie had stayed at Shanamore Cottages. So, Audrey heads there herself to find out what's going on.

Andrew Gallagher is the owner of Shanamore Cottages. He has seen Natalie's murder via a hidden camera in her room. A camera the killer destroys! How did the killer know it was there? And why is Andrew staying silent about the murder he witnessed?

Rewind uses a silly gimmick of "rewind" "fast-forward" "pause" and "play" to reflect the narrative jumping back and forth in time between various characters. It really had no relevance, other than offering an alternative to the more standard "then" and "now" chapters we get in most modern day thrillers. It could sometimes be a bit confusing, because those monikers don't immediately make clear where and when a particular chapter is happening. Dumb gimmick. Should have just used time-and-place holders. It would have made NO difference.

It was an involving, creepy and suspenseful read, however. For the first half, I was wondering where it was headed, and it offered some good surprises in the plot. It gave me vibes of films like Vacancy and the more recent Men, doing a masterful job in developing a sense of menace and foreboding, particularly in Natalie's chapters.

However, it doesn't really stick the landing. It quickly becomes clear what's behind everything, and there is no real climax to speak of, and the book rushes through its ending, as if like a movie had run out of film, or somebody had ripped the last few pages out of the book! Very disappointing.

marieintheraw's review against another edition

An extremely addicting murder mystery. It takes sometime getting used to the jumping back and forth in time, but the mystery will keep you on the edge of your seat.

I received an ecopy of this through netgalley; however, all opinions are my own.

getlitchallenge's review against another edition

Meh. Didn’t grip me in so I forgot my progress. Might be interested in restarting someday and giving it a second chance as the concept is still interesting

camrajo's review against another edition

challenging mysterious tense medium-paced

I think this is the first time I have not loved a CRH book. It felt like it took a while to get into, and the characters were annoying. Plus I was able to guess the -plot twist- which was super sad to me, as I think of her of the plot twist queen.

gk21's review against another edition

keberwick's review against another edition

**Actual Rating 3.5**

“Stealing a car, watching snuff films, arming herself against a potential murderer… It struck Audrey that, in the last 24 hours, life had taken quite a turn.”

Natalie O’Connor is missing. The insta-famous Natalie O’Connor is missing. Audrey Coughlan is a reporter on the Entertainment desk for ThePaper.ie and it’s her duty to do a short write up on the information currently available to the public. But when she goes to visit Natalie’s husband, Mike, at their house, something doesn’t seem quite right. After posting the article, Audrey receives an email from a woman up in Shanamore, Cork County, saying that she had seen Natalie there just last week. A week before her husband reported her missing. Determined to stay on the story--against her editor’s wishes-- Aubrey “borrows” her sister's car and drives straight to Shanamore. When she arrives, everyone in the small town is incredibly tight lipped and reluctant to talk to her, but that makes her all the more determined to find someone who will. What she finds is a much deeper mystery on her hands. Why would Natalie come to Shanamore, and who--or what-- is keeping her from coming home?

First of all, let me say I love the premise of this book. I love when stories are told out of order and this book absolutely achieved that! The story itself was fine; I just didn’t love it. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed it, but I think I liked the premise more. It absolutely lived up to the “ Psycho meets Fatal Attraction ” tag line, but I wish we really got more into the mind of the murderer. The characters felt a tad bit two-dimensional to me, but other than that I have no complaints. I loved the writing, I loved the idea, and I was completely blindsided by the twist. One weird thing I really enjoyed about the hard copy was how thick the pages were! I absolutely felt the chill of Shanamore and could really imagine myself there. If you’re looking for a creepy thriller for Spooky Season, this is a great place to start!

billymac1962's review against another edition

With only one novel left of hers that I haven't read yet, I can pretty much declare that the lady is a can't miss read for me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: what makes Catherine Ryan Howard's novels so enjoyable for me is that her plots are so fun and that they are resolved without resorting to ridiculous twists that have been so prevalent with bestsellers over the past few years. Every time I've finished one of her stories it's always with satisfaction to think back on a resolution that developed out of the type of luck or coincidence that everyday life can bring.
Her characters are also well developed and believable, with logical motives (whether good or bad), and her narrative and dialogue make for easy and immersive reading.

She's great.

I will say that I wasn't overly keen on her chapters "rewinding and fast-forwarding" in whatever the increments were, and I spent too much brain power trying to make sense of them. I eventually let them go, and it was obvious enough what the timelines were by sheer virtue of her writing. I had heard her interviewed on a podcast and she said that she tries to do something completely different with each novel, and this was that indeed. I don't begrudge her that at all since I enjoyed the story despite the timeline counters for each chapter. Her story this time follows the disappearance of an Instagram influencer and the rookie journalist who has taken on the story.

Distress Signals remains my favourite of hers, followed by 56 Days, but this is definitely a strong 4.5 stars read. She had me totally engaged throughout and I am looking forward to reading Run Time soon. After that, hopefully a new release will come soon!

brattykimv's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

laurlala's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

Good thriller, fast paced plot, interesting twists- I just felt that the characters were flat

whiskersandwords's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced