Merry Measure, by Lily Morton

crazychriss93's review

Best friend's brother romance

Well done.

Pretty short. Very on point.

One MC has a supportive and loving family behind him, the other one comes from a cold household where he always had to be perfect.
One of them has been a bit in love with the other for a while and now the other one has finally caught up.
I usually don't like the whole didn't-really-see-you before theme but here it was okay.

The plot?
They travel to Amsterdam together with their friends. Quite fun at times to read about their interactions.

chelseavk's review

4.5 stars
This was so funny, cute and sweet; just the kind of Christmas story I like.

rissa53's review

This was lovely!

I love Arlo and Jack, I love Tom and Bee (I would love to read their story), and I love Fred and Diana (I would love to read their story, too)!

I really loved the descriptions of Amsterdam.

Much enjoyment and lots of laugh out loud moments! <3

hypnoticx's review

Buddy Read

Ok so when is the movie coming out? Seriously this book fulfilled all of my romcom feels and i enjoyed every moment of this story.

The setting of Amsterdam was beautiful, came to life on the page and now added to my travel goals. Jack and Arlo's adventures as they fell in love were beautiful, the museums and canal trip. Just the little moments between them, they really compliment each other and i adored them so much.

Jack and Arlo are so different, yet they understand each other and recognise the best parts. Standing up for each other and all of the affection, their chemistry is steamy and off the charts.

Must not forget the side cast who were incredible, i love Tom and Bee they made me smile a lot. Also Freddy and Diana were wonderful! Made for lots of laughs and great scenes.

Overall i had an incredible time reading this book and the ending is beautiful, so sweet and all of the pure comfort vibes. I love a Happy ending

filipa's review

4.5 stars

endemictoearth's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

Holiday book that didn’t seem very holiday-ish. Still really enjoyed it, though! It's set in Amsterdam and quite travelogue-esque, which I like. Morton definitely has a style/formula, and this book follows it, but I don’t seem to mind with her. While she has wells she returns to, it doesn’t feel rote (yet.)

lillian_francis's review

Absolutely adorable.

Arlo is adorably klutz, but he's feisty and fiercely loyal and been in love with his brother's best friend forever.

Jack is a people-pleaser, so easily taken advantage of. It was great to see Arlo rubbing off on him (Oi, flithy. Not like that.) and him standing up for himself.

Low angst, funny, romance with great characters and a brilliantly evocative setting.

Every Lily Morton book I read is my next favourite.

shainamaydel's review

Happy sigh

As per usual, Lily has knocked it out of the park. Every word is brilliant. Sweet, SO funny I was giggling out loud constantly, and just happiness incarnate.

nsomniak6's review

A book that makes me laugh and chuckle as much as this one definitely deserves 5 damn stars this year!

Lily's one of my very favorite MM authors. I say it every time she writes a new book and even if I don't love every single one, she still ticks all the boxes for me. And although the MCs may have the same feel/energy/humor throughout her books they are unique enough to keep me coming back for more. She is brilliantly funny, knows how to temper hurt/comfort, and still be able to keep a warm glow throughout her books. I am grateful she keeps deciding to grace us with her gift.

isalaur's review

Adorable! Love this sweet, quirky holiday story

I am such a huge fan of Morton’s and am awed at how each new couple we meet immediately burrow their way into our hearts. Morton has such a gift for creating and developing such real, human, three dimensional characters that I swear they imbed themselves in my brain as if they are real people I know. It’s an amazing talent and she hasn’t gone wrong yet.

This book finds a group of friends in Amsterdam for Christmas. One of them, Arlo, has had a crush on his older brother Tom’s best friend Jack since he was 11 years old. He’s had to watch as Jack has gone through boyfriends knowing that Jack will never think of him in a romantic way.

Forced proximity has its benefits though and we get to enjoy the discovery of their newfound mutual interest in each other. It is a sweet, low angst holiday read with lots of humor, some gut punching moments, continual almost farcical interruptions and a painful crisis moment.

I couldn’t put it down and I know I will be re-reading it in the not too distant future as I have with every Lily Morton book! Highly recommend.