Here We Go Again by Alison Cochrun

dbguide2's review against another edition

emotional inspiring sad medium-paced

mkatie28's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

miksbookpicks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

abbysbookadventure's review against another edition

DNF @ 41%

After absolutely loving The Charm Offensive and really liking Kiss Her Once for Me, Alison Cochrun’s newest book was one of my most anticipated reads of the year. Unfortunately, I just could not click into this one and ended up DNF’ing. The main reason I stopped was due to sheer boredom - I was zero percent interested in literally anything happening in the book. I felt like I should have cared and just didn’t. Joe was definitely the character I cared most about, but even that was minimal. I actively cannot stand Logan, which is hard when she’s one of the main narrators. And the celebrity name expletives were overused and extremely cringey…

I seem to be in the minority because there are so many amazing reviews on Goodreads, and I’m sad this just didn’t work for me, but 2024 is the year of DNF’ing books I don’t like and I’m proud of myself for following through (my third DNF of February, who is she?!).

Thank you so much @atriabooks @netgalley for the gifted e-ARC and physical ARC.

meganthebookwormelf's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

bookstosoothethesoul's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad

Oh my gosh this book was so so good! It had heart, healing and humor in perfect balance. A romcom about a cancer roadtrip could so easily have been heavy or had a strange tone but this book had everything I enjoy in a romance - inspirational character arcs, heartwarming scenes, individual growth for the characters, as well as swoony/sexy moments. I loved every character in this book. There's nothing more satisfying than a roadtrip book where characters travel a large physical distance as well as an emotional one, ending the book in a completely different place than where they started. Rosemary's perfectionism and Logan's fear of letting people down made me feel so seen. The main strength of this book is the poignant way that Joe's impending death is handled. Cochran gave Joe the space to be cranky and stubborn and cling to his independence even as he loses the ability to go to the bathroom by himself. By showing the impact that Joe had on Logan and Rosemary as their mentor and father figure she made his past feel so vivid so that it was unbearable to think of a future without him in their lives. This book made me feel so many things and I will definitely be rereading it in the future!

Tropes:

-Childhood friends to enemies to lovers
-ADHD rep
-MCs in their 30s
-Roadtrip romance
-Lesbian MCs
-Opposites attract
-Demi rep

harborwriter's review against another edition

This is the rom com for you if you want to bawl as well as laugh. While it does have moments that literally made me snort awkwardly with laughter, it's also really, really sad. In case you, like me, didn't think too hard about the death part of this book before reading: be forewarned.

I struggled with the main pairing at first--emotionally unavailable asshole characters are really not my thing--but I did warm up to Logan by the end. I really liked the varying experiences of ADHD and queerness represented by the characters here.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc! Opinions are my own.

jenniferdawn's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny sad medium-paced

thankstomylocallibrary's review against another edition

funny reflective medium-paced

wdianasheppard's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful sad medium-paced