The Only Purple House in Town by Ann Aguirre

gailalison's review

I have kind of mixed feelings about this book. It’s supposed to be the fourth book in the Fix-It Witches series (I have read the first three books), but the cover and the vibe are very different. You probably can read this book as a standalone, but I do think it makes slightly more sense having read the previous books. The first three books, from what I remember, were spicy. This has zero spice (which is fine, but if someone’s reading this book as part of the series, they might be a little disappointed if they’re expecting that kind of content. I saw some reviews upset about the mmc “stalking” the fmc, but what he did before they met did not come across as stalking, in my opinion. He looked at her social media every so often - and that’s it. I obviously feel he should have been honest with the main character, but that’s a fairly big plot point, mentioned throughout the story. I do also think she seemed unnecessary angry when she finds out he has money. I was glad she was the one to seek him out to resolve things.
This series always has a lot of LGBTQ representation, which is great, but there’s so much of it, it almost starts to seem less realistic. It totally makes sense that marginalized people would seek each other out to form community, but this almost seems to go beyond that. It doesn’t bother me, but takes me out of the story a bit.
It took me some time to get into this story, but for most of it, I was really enjoying the cozy fantasy, which a bit of romance. It didn’t end great for me (from when the fmc gets upset until the end) and the situation with her birth parents didn’t feel quite fleshed out enough, but mostly I had a nice time reading this story. I just don’t think it should be considered the fourth book in the series.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me access to this eARC for my honest opinion!

bookbookgoose's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

kaliskale's review against another edition

funny inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

complexlyleslie's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

lagoonmoon's review

The first half was very wholesome but exactly at the 80% it came to a screeching halt. I want excited to see the actual repercussions of cyber stocking someone for a decade, lying to them about your profession (by omission) and then moving in to their home would look like but instead it was the same old
third act break up followed by the “ I don’t need your money because that makes me feel bad even though people are relying on me” speech
it just felt rather anticlimactic

mortalnexus's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

lunarcatbooks's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

I picked up this book on a whim during a long who Barnes and Noble trip. Now that I'm working through my TBR and grabbed this one because I wanted something light.

I couldn't have picked better. This was a lighthearted and cozy found family book with a hint of second chance and a bit of forced proximity. I loved Iris and was rooting for her to succeed through the whole book. She vibed so well with Eli and it really felt like fate.

I can't recommend this book enough when you need something fun, engaging, and cozy.

kitkat9698's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

kansas_b's review against another edition

lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

mamelia00's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted tense fast-paced