The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

gvstyris's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful slow-paced

And that is another reason why the Ring should be destroyed: as long as it is in the world it will be a danger even to the Wise. For nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so.

I was surprised by how nostalgic I felt reading this first LOTR volume, which I’ve never read before — the ‘epic’ sense of adventure reminded me a little of reading Percy Jackson and Harry Potter as a child.

I’m rooting for Aragorn and Sam, always <3  (but can’t believe Arwen is so much less present here than the films!)

But yeah, if we’re being honest, there’s a lot of slightly dull walking around various parts of the wilderness that require patience to get through.

Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere.

stasibabi's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

brodyy's review against another edition

adventurous challenging inspiring mysterious medium-paced

bhnmt61's review against another edition

I was not an early convert to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I tried The Hobbit in grade school, but was bored and I never tried any of the rest. Until my boyfriend, now husband, talked me into reading them back in the 80s. The time must have been right, because then I loved them. I read them at least three times before the movies came out.

But I don’t think I’ve read them since- for my taste, this is one of the very few cases, I thought, where the movies are better than the books.

When for some reason I decided it was time to read them again, it was a very slow start. I think I first picked this up back in October or so. It took me quite awhile to get back into the right mindset for the slower pace of the books. But once I did, I loved it. Frodo is so brave, and the story of the nine companions is so compelling. It seems strange to give it anything but five stars, but really the beginning is so damn slow. It doesn’t pick up until Rivendell. I’ve got too much on my plate right now to plunge straight into two towers, but I will.

abbyharrison's review against another edition

The second book I’ve read this year that has a movie adaption featuring a character played by Viggo Mortenson who talks about ‘the Road’

calebgales's review against another edition

adventurous inspiring mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

melishi211's review against another edition

Even though I am reading this for school i still enjoy it so much

spadeano's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful tense medium-paced

bre2's review against another edition

slow-paced

makennarg's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted slow-paced