Reviews tagging Blood

Malibu Rising, by Taylor Jenkins Reid

littlewagers's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

apersonfromflorida's review against another edition

adventurous emotional sad tense fast-paced

steeped_in_books's review against another edition

emotional reflective tense fast-paced

annasophie's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious reflective medium-paced

Really interesting structure, faced paced and never boring. The family relations and overall plot are a little predictable, but Reid’s writing made up for that. Nothing exceptional or complex, but still a very enjoyable read, and sometimes that’s enough.
Reid also has a gift for crafting interesting characters and it’s been a while since I’ve read something featuring so many characters without it feeling overwhelming.

Final note, the best part was the prologue. It’s just a few pages but I loved it so much I almost wish it would be a small standalone sketch. 4.5 stars overall for me.

brynngaybee's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective sad fast-paced

Such a great summer read! It was a very exciting and fast-paced read. The characters were clear and interesting. There were a few concepts that I wish had been explored a little bit more but there was a lot of ground to cover and it certainly didn't ruin my experience of the book. I liked the multiple perspectives and the complexity it offered every character. The little snippets of party guests' lives and stories were very cool as well. Cool story, although not my fav Taylor Jenkins Reid book.

kikihuang's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

This was my first book by TJR as it came highly recommended through BookTube, and I was not disappointed. The array of characters and the hardships that the Riva siblings went through together hit close to home for me which made it easy to relate to their hardships. I enjoyed how captivated I was by the heartache and sadness of the story with June & Mick and how their relationship played a role in how their children grew up.

The tone of the story is focused heavily on sadness and anger, but there are uplifting moments and overcoming fears.

Overall I enjoyed this summertime read.

scbarr's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

This was a great summer read; loved the backdrop of 80's California and a wild party. It builds out the characters over the course of a night with some well timed flashbacks to get a full understanding. The change of perspective throughout the book rounded out all the small stories and helped you relate to the characters.

thierney's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

• easily one of my favourites (at least this year, if not all time)
 • very well paced, and the switch between past and present worked very well
 • great "worldbuilding," even if that world is Malibu in 1983 (both a very real place and a very real year)
 • a large cast of characters, which can be aggravating, but even characters w little significance were fully fleshed out and felt as real as the main characters
 • ^to add to that, the amount of characters made the setting even more realistic - not really remembering who everyone was immediately showed the chaos of both the party and the Riva's, specifically Nina's, lives in general
 • my first TJR book and i fully understand why ppl love how real her characters are, like to the point they look them up online
Spoiler i wanted kit to find a girl but its fINe i guess /j