The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, by V.E. Schwab

symantha4897's review

emotional reflective tense slow-paced

theeladyash's review

I am emotional and speechless. Just... wow.

claricou's review

Muy buen final, pero se me hizo medio repetitivo.

brittanysprobablyreading's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

rowaelins_'s review

I am... destroyed. AddieLuc

nerdydee's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

lmcbarton's review

morgann92's review

Fair warning, this book is very good but it did make me cry. I don’t know what I expected but I didn’t expect Addie to become as dark as she did. In away it does show that her and Luc are perfect for each other, still I like Luc and wanted a more cheerful ending for Addie and Luc, like Henry. Henry is adorable and in need of therapy, nevertheless I loved him. I was rooting for Addie and Henry. Addie’s story is one of longing and adventure and I really liked how she handled her situation. It is definitely intriguing story, I loved the flashback story line in addition to the 2014 story line. I am very interested in what Luc really is, he was very captivating and I couldn’t help but like him, and like Addie wanted to see more of him. Overall, I would definitely recommend it’s very addictive.

juniperwoodbury's review

The premise of this book is wonderful, and it delivers on it well. It's beautifully written and emotional and all that good stuff. But the second half was really disappointing.

My biggest problem with the book was that Addie has an almost flat character arc, which I found unsatisfying. The climax made me think she had grown as a person, but the final scene showed that, while she learned something, she didn't really *change*. I prefer happy endings, which this book does not have. I would have even been okay with a tragic ending. But this ending felt unfinished (which I think is the point, but, ya know, to each their own).

not_fennimore's review against another edition

Personal rating: 4.25/5

The story starts with a girl who didn't want to die and made a deal with a devil. You'd think that nothing would go wrong but making a deal with the devil has always comes with a price. In The Little Mermaid, Ariel lost her voice to Ursula in exchange of legs. Addie lost her place on earth to Luc in exchange for her immortality. No one seems to be able to recognize her after they took off their sight from her. Until one day, she met a book keeper who remembers her. And thus, the plot thickens.

The beginning of the book was very strong. It reeled me in even if I felt like the read was kind of slow for me. I think that for a book that thick could have explored more within the 300 years of history, to be frank. However, knowing that this is a standalone, I understand that the intention was to revolve more around Addie's life than to go deeper into the 300 years worth of history and the character's lives in depth. There are a few limitations as Addie comes and go into one's live and people not being able to remember her because it makes the characters' personalities were touched only on the surface level.

The ending... OH THE ENDING. THE ENDING THAT I LOHVED SO MUCH. It fits perfectly into the picture. A slight twist at the end because I really did not expect things to go that way. It was bittersweet but perfect.

I understand why it is a hit or miss for readers. If you enjoy a slow burn read, this book is for you. Else, you might go into a reading slump.