White Horse by Erika T. Wurth

ambur_justeen's review

I feel like I stumbled upon a little gem of a book! I loved the thrill the horror aspect offered, but it was softened with the humanity of the characters. That balance was well executed, and I could not put it down!

flowerwineandbooks's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

LOVED

reading_and_wrighting's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

nicolesbookreviews's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

pollyno9's review

dark hopeful mysterious slow-paced

anaodaniel's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

fmmiller88's review

dark emotional medium-paced

I liked this story quite a lot. There were a few continuity errors and some random bits of information about Stephen King but I took it to mean she was trying to find some semblance of normal in her life. If Stephen King is her normal and that grounds her that is fine. I liked the haunted nature of it all as well as the introspective nature of trying to heal from your own traumas. It took turns that I didn't expect and was way more mystical than I thought it would be. She is haunted not only literally but metaphorically in the sense that she can't shake the burdens of her past. This is a story of a haunting of a whole people. (Which I have also said about "She Is A Haunting")

Check out a podcast that I host with my boyfriend where we talk books and book related things:

and our Instagram:

peacelovefloyd's review

Overall ambivalent.

I liked the overarching theme, and it all connected well in the end, but for the love of all that is holy can someone get this author a better editor, a stronger outline, and some ADHD medication?

A lot of the sentences read awkwardly. The atmosphere in the scenes of the ghost/spirits mostly makes up for the awkward sentences. I didn’t mind the main character as she did have some character growth. Mostly, as I was reading I had some secondhand embarrassment and cringe related to her. Tell me you’re metal without telling me your metal. However, in comparison to the other characters she fell flat. In the end, Debby, the mom, and the friend were the most developed characters… two of them were dead.

What is this mess with Debby? I don’t think that family drama served the plot well. Unless the goal here is to piss off the reader endlessly, end patriarchy, and bring light to IPV… and if that is the goal, King is probably not the best name to weave throughout the book. (But in all honesty, if Debby’s drama wasn’t involved at all, I wouldn’t have minded the King name drop. The Shining aspect was pretty cool). However, mentioning the teenage boy at the hotel? Again, unnecessary. I don’t know what the point of that was.

That pacing was incredibly off. It could have served as a novella. At page 214, I felt the plot had gone nowhere. The ending was almost too fast and my eyes couldn’t keep up. And a happy ending with a side character I’m supposed to care about? No. I believe in redemption of people, I think people can come out of active addiction, I believe in therapy. I don’t think it’s fair to continue to label addicts as addicts for their entire lives. Responsibility needs to be taken. Just because you’re an abusive asshole who drinks a lot doesn’t mean someone has to forgive you for violent, atrocious behavior. Abusive men don’t just go to one therapy session and shit rainbows after. Do not manipulate the reader this way.

I also have to mention that I’ve seen some pieces on the internet stating that the author is disingenuous about her identity. While I don’t know how I feel about that, I think this is an important component in how I ultimately feel about some of the history of Native Americans/American Indians/Indigenous folx and how it was represented in the book.

hollydoo97's review

Absolutely beautiful tribute to Colorado culture and Native American struggles. A super quick read and characters to absolutely fall in love with. ADORE this book.

araceliream's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced