White Horse by Erika T. Wurth

graycatbird's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

kathrynlbest's review

I hated most of this book and had to really muscle through it to finish reading it. I knew it was a story that would bug me if I didn’t finish it. The first 50 pages give so little explanation and I didn’t enjoy myself until the last 50 pages. The storytelling is really disjointed, time sometimes passes without much of a mention. I don’t think I liked any of the characters in this. I enjoyed them and some of them I sympathize with their struggles, but then they would make some random choice in life that didn’t make sense to me. My biggest issue with this comes in the form of a repeating argument throughout the book that always ends up feeling juvenile. Then there’s a lot of forgiveness throughout which sounds like a great thing but often feels like just another way to open up the characters to more pain. I will say I enjoyed hearing about different Native American tribes, their traditions and urban living. I also find it important to hear more discussion about struggles like Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women. I’m sorry that I didn’t enjoy the book, but I still like that I got to see into the life of someone so different than me and think of the world a little more differently than I did before.

jojoannk's review

mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

jourdanicus's review against another edition

dark reflective slow-paced

A beautiful (in a dark way) novel about unpacking generational trauma through the lens of mild horror/crime mystery. And yet so much more and better than that because of Wurth's writing style. Worked for me because of the themes of mommy issues plus crime mystery that didn't kiss cop ass.

I love Indigenous horror. I also love any horror that references King, whether implicitly or explicitly. This book did but was still all its own, so I would recommend it to King fans but definitely don't expect it to be exactly the same, or to put King on a pedestal (there's some spot-on commentary - with a bit of reclamation! - of King's love for including "Indian burial grounds" in his stories).

Not a perfect 5 stars for me because I need faster plot pacing, but to the extent that I can objectively evaluate books (very little lbr), this was an excellent read. Highly recommend on audio.

myrranda5002's review

I adored everything about this book. The book has the perfect balance of spiritual, supernatural and realism. I adored this book so much.

mcuthill's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

orizenda's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad medium-paced

I’m really excited to read more by this author. I wish I saw more people talk about this book. I feel like it deserves a lot more recognition. Like I didn’t care for every single aspect of it (like the whole stephen king detour idk) but to me that didn’t detract from how much I appreciated the book and the story. Definitely not an easy read, but a worthwhile one.

tomastafollat2's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense

justabean_reads's review against another edition

This was billed as horror, and wasn't (yet again). Maybe I just don't understand what horror is supposed to be?

I did like this for what it was though: a Native American mystery with supernatural elements, in the same general line as Bad Cree by Jessica Johns. Our heroine has been living a largely-contented life of bartending, horror novels and punk rock, when her mother starts haunting her, along with visions of an ancestral monster. Trying to become nightmare-free pushes her into digging into her family history, and her own trauma.

I really liked our borderline-alcoholic anti-social dumpster fire of a main character, and her struggles to deal with drama she absolutely does not have the coping skills to manage. She's only marginally in touch with any of her Native American culture and family, which makes having visions a lot to deal with, but she starts to connect more over the course of the story. It's a really lovely healing journey, and a page-turner mystery, and not especially scary. Though that's not entirely fair, as it's depiction of male violence against women is striking and effective.

hannahreanie's review

dark emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced