Reviews tagging Emotional abuse

House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

mysterymom46's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

anielabooks's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was such a rollercoaster for me. I came in with little knowledge of horror books and only the Barbie’s version of a 12 dancing princesses under my belt. Thankfully, the horror wasn’t very intense. I was so invested in the story the entire time and was very satisfied with the ending. I also loved the romance aspect of the book as I found myself falling in love at the same time as Annaleigh. I honestly did not predict the ending, which I liked. I particularly loved the motif of the sea turtles throughout the book; it really made the last few chapters that much more heart-wrenching. I’m so glad one of my followers recommended this book to me.

ka_ke's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

I loved this book! I’m not sure if the balls were necessary, but it all tied together! The ending is horribly sad, at least until the epilogue.

jojo_'s review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

laequiem's review

dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

emily_mh's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

4.25. Right from the beginning I loved the manor-on-an-island setting of this book as it really played in to the spooky atmosphere that Craig created. And I truly LOVED how spooky this book was; I was genuinely nervous to turn my lights out at night and go to sleep. There were a lot more horror elements than I was expecting which I think were really well done but definitely graphic. Given that this book is a standalone, the world-building was impressive and fleshed out. Throughout the book, I was continually surprised and kept on my toes with the various twists and turns.

However, there were definitely some parts of the book that I didn't like. The side characters felt at times one-dimensional. Annaleigh has 11 sisters, and only two of them felt like actual people to me. I thought Fisher could have had more page-time, as well as other characters who became more important at the end. The plot was also a little slow in the first half, compared to the fast pacing in the second half.
SpoilerAnnaleigh and Cassius' romance was insta-love for me and therefore I didn't enjoy it, and I thought it a little ridiculous that they were in love after hanging out a couple of times. Also, it was a little creepy because Cassius had been watching Annaleigh for ages, and I think he's also a lot older than her.
Finally, I didn't LOVE the ending as much as I could have, as
Spoilerit played into the evil stepmother trope, and two of the original four deaths turned out to not be "cursed."