Reviews tagging Death of parent

House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

shannasbookshelf's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

"The rain came down harder, shrouding Highmoor in muddled grays. Great boulders at the bottom of the cliffs were tossed about by the raging sea like marbles in a little boy's pocket, their crashes blasting up the steep rocks and rivaling the thunder."
This was a fun book, and I'm glad I decided to give it another shot. I don't think I was really paying attention when I read this the first time around. I would definitely recommend this as a read. It's an amazing, unique retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses story. Additionally, many tellings of the 12 Dancing Princesses fit best within the spring and summer months. However, House of Salt and Sorrows fits amazingly into almost every season and month. There were a few moments where I was questioning Annaleigh's actions, especially with how they compared to her words (even more so near the end). However, it didn't bother me too much since it worked within the story and how the characters interacted with each other overall.

whatischellereading's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

Annaleigh and her sisters live a sheltered life at Highmoor.  Four sisters have died in a short space of time, each death more tragic than the last.   Annaleigh begins to wonder if her sisters deaths were accidents... When Annaleigh meets a mysterious stranger, will she be the next to die?

I'm all over the place with how I feel about this book.  I enjoyed reading it but it left me feeling the most depressed I've felt since really a book.  It was all just a bit too morbid and gloomy for my taste.  That being said I really like the concept of the book and did enjoy the storyline but feel it could have been doing with just a little less death... *SPOILER* - the death of two small children was just not required in my book.  I have a thing about kids dying needlessly (much like most human beings...)

I would recommend this book to people who can deal with a bit more of a sombre fantasy but I don't feel like I'd be in a rush to read it again...

mysterymom46's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

slvt4b00ks's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

This book was such a treat. I have never really read anything tho close to horror. Definitely do not read at night if you’re prone to nightmares or scare easily. I love how many allusions there are to Edgar Alan Poe. There’s even a character named Edgar. This author has certainly mastered the macabre, I think mr. Poe himself would have loved this story. The ending had so many twists and turns, I was concerned that like our main character, I could not separate nightmare from reality. Please please please read this. I have no regrets other than that I wish I read this sooner. The book had been sitting on my shelf for a full YEAR, untouched. I almost feel as though the cover does not do it Justice.

snowmuzu's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad medium-paced

HOSAS was okay. It had a promising start, and I was really into the atmosphere of the story. I liked the setting of the story as well as the world being inhabited by real, physical gods -- I just wished more time had been spent on fleshing out the world. Annaleigh's siblings, aside from Camilla and Verity, did not have their own personalities. Instead, the younger three were lumped together like the triplets, and I had trouble remembering who was who because most of the sisters were just names to me. The triplets being exactly the same personally peeved me. It is such a cliche that siblings born together must be 100% alike. As a twin myself, I can personally say that while we are very much alike, we have our own interests and hobbies.

The romance in this book was not my favorite. Annaleigh seemed to instantly love Cassius for no other reason than his attractive face (not that I can fault her for that). There was little growth in their relationship, and the kiss scenes did not move me.

Additionally, the ending of the book was too obvious. I guessed most of the ending about a quarter of the way in.

Despite my criticisms, Craig's writing was easy to digest, and the mystery of Eulalie's death was compelling enough to keep me mildly interested for most of the book.

offbrandclubsoda's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

anielabooks's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was such a rollercoaster for me. I came in with little knowledge of horror books and only the Barbie’s version of a 12 dancing princesses under my belt. Thankfully, the horror wasn’t very intense. I was so invested in the story the entire time and was very satisfied with the ending. I also loved the romance aspect of the book as I found myself falling in love at the same time as Annaleigh. I honestly did not predict the ending, which I liked. I particularly loved the motif of the sea turtles throughout the book; it really made the last few chapters that much more heart-wrenching. I’m so glad one of my followers recommended this book to me.

katvou's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad fast-paced

ninjawarriorprincess's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

howlsbreakfast's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

THIS BOOK HAS ME FLOORED I LOVE IT. THE AMOUNT OF EMOTIONS THIS GAVE ME EVERY CHAPTER, CONFUSION, DISBELIEF, DOUBT. LOVE IT. I love Cassius Corum 🫶🫰.