Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot by Mikki Kendall

thomasr417's review against another edition

challenging hopeful informative reflective fast-paced

erinbeingliterate's review against another edition

This book was a good overview of the way the mainstream feminist movement is failing many women, specifically poor black women. Each chapter explored a different issue that feminists need to focus more on. I agree with other reviewers that if you already are versed in intersectional feminism some of it feels a little basic. However, I still learned a lot and am excited to build off of the lessons of this book.

abbyk505's review against another edition

important and impactful read

cyntea_'s review against another edition

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

nxmcln's review against another edition

informative

apalbert's review against another edition

De los libros más importantes que he leído.

No basta con decir que eres feminista, tienes que tomar acción y activamente rechazar ideologías patriarcales que han sido inculcadas en las mujeres por cientos de años.
Este libro me hizo darme cuenta del privilegio que tengo y que tengo que usar ese privilegio para luchar por derechos de mujeres que no tienen los mismos privilegios que yo.

Las mujeres nos tenemos que impulsar entre nosotras y tenemos que reconocer que muchas veces el peor enemigo de una mujer, es otra mujer. Me quedo con mucho que reflexionar sobre cómo puedo ser una mejor aliada para mujeres marginadas y cómo puedo usar mi privilegio para el bien y no quedarme con los brazos cruzados.

peggyluwho's review against another edition

challenging informative fast-paced

mercedes3295's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring reflective

“Too often white feminism lies to itself. It lies about intent and impact; it invests more in protecting whiteness than in protecting women. It’s not a harmless lie either; it does direct harm to marginalised communities.”

Hood Feminism explains so clearly why white feminism benefits no one but those seeking to, consciously or unconsciously, uphold a white supremacist, patriarchal society. The conversations had throughout the book provide so much insight into why white feminism is so harmful to all women and why we must actively fight to uplift the voices of women of colour in order to tackle real feminist issues.

Despite the discussions largely focusing on problems in America, these can be translated and applied to all women and provide information on important feminist issues for those who may not recognise them as such. I didn’t think of gun violence as a feminist issue, despite how many women and children it impacts, simply because I grew up in a country that doesn’t face this issue so vastly, which is why hood feminism helped me broaden my knowledge on what feminism is exactly, and what it means to me.

Although I would’ve considered myself as a ‘good feminist’ reading this has changed my perspective on many problems and made me aware of problems I hadn’t considered before. Thinking critically of white feminism and its damaging principles has fundamentally changed the way I think about women’s issues and is exactly why intersectionality is a must in the fight for women’s rights.

Hood feminism should be a requirement to read before you can even consider yourself a feminist because without the perspectives of women of colour, white feminism would only support a patriarchal society that oppresses people of colour while simultaneously causing harm to the very feminists who have attempted to do the very opposite.

zarap's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

ashliesydel's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

I could talk about this book for a few hours. This could be used as the base for educational curriculum. If anyone else wants to read it and talk, hit me up. There is just soo much.

This is a must read for every person who believes in human rights.