The Twisted Ones, by T. Kingfisher

nicobella's review against another edition

Oh yeah, this turned into the creepy, dark read I was looking for. However, the first part of the book (maybe 1/4 or half of it?) was in a train-of-thought, first-person narration style with nothing really happening and I did NOT enjoy that. But there’s this one scene that basically was nearly my worst nightmare and I couldn’t put it down after that.

ofmiceandmenudo's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

kelligrace's review against another edition

dark tense

dannybrown59's review

adventurous challenging dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

I really wanted to love this book but it just fell a little flat for me. I really enjoyed the authors writing style so I think I'll give another book of hers a chance. The first part of this book really drew me in. I liked reading about Bongo, Mouse, and the hoarding was really interesting. I just got lost when it came to everything else going on.

howlinglibraries's review

I didn't realize how much I needed more folk horror in my life until reading this, but wow. This was so enjoyable, though the ending did go off the rails for me a bit (enough to knock this down to a 4-star rating, but it's still a VERY HIGH 4 stars, maybe even closer to 4.5!). Full review coming soon, but I highly recommend this one!

update: Screw it. I've been thinking about this book all damn day. 5 stars.

frogggirl2's review

What fun! The characters in this book are incredibly snarky funny and self-aware. It almost breaks the third wall but not quite. Since the threat here is so out of this world extra-ordinary this helps to cut the tension and also preempt your criticism.

I haven't read a lot of horror but I think I really like it. I think this would be a good bridge for a fantasy reader into horror.

joanbereading's review

so that was a FLOP. I'm tempted to give this a 2.75

I absolutely loved the first 30% of this book, the hilarious writing, intriguing premise and promise of horror completely pulled me in. Mouse and her dog Bongo are an iconic duo and while I didn't feel any attachment to the other characters, they were well written too. After that 30%, everything began to drag, feel very tedious, and was just very underwhelming. There was one truly scary part and everything else was just creepy and became slightly less creepy with the increasing repetition and lack of reveal. My biggest caveat is that I had trouble investing myself in the fact that we were reading about a character reading about someone writing a journal about another person's journal. (that is purposely confusing to avoid spoilers) It felt so far removed at that point that I struggled to even care. The premise and the folklore horror were a great setup but there were not enough layers to this story. I technically didn't even read it all, I got to 70% and skipped to the ending and.... THAT'S IT??

I still want to read The Hollow Ones though so let's hope I have better luck with that one

luxxen's review

adventurous dark funny mysterious relaxing medium-paced

britt_horst_'s review against another edition

dark funny tense fast-paced

meowpompom's review

Maybe that’s why my grandmother wanted to marry him, for his sexy cribbage game.