Three Women – Drei Frauen by Lisa Taddeo

erboe501's review against another edition

I so enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure the "journalist following three women and telling their stories" angle was my kind of book, but Taddeo does a remarkable job of weaving the reader right into the story. I also think the narrative was remarkably improved with the audio narrators. Each woman had her own voice, and the narrators' inflections, pauses between words, and emotions really brought the prose to life.

The hardest story to listen to was that of Maggie, the girl who accused her high school teacher of committing sexual acts with her. The trial was heartbreaking to listen to--the disbelief in her story, the assumption that this successful guy couldn't desire this troubled girl. Perhaps the most lyrical and difficult story to unpack was that of Sloane. In her first sections she comes off as totally self-confident and empowered. But that façade for the reader disintegrates as her backstory unfolds.

Women crave and demand in this story. Their agency, however, is often second fiddle to the men whom they desire. They (sometimes) willingly submit their own will to that of the men they desire, which is a sort of agency, a choice. But you can't help but see how the men's desire often trumps that of the women. Nonetheless, this book is about how women navigate sexual desire and a desire for belonging and love. As Taddeo's prologue and afterword suggest, every woman, every family, is built on stories like these.

kiyajade's review against another edition

A magnificent accomplishment.

becisbored's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

emilyceratops's review against another edition

sad slow-paced

I enjoyed this but often I felt as if I as the reader was viewing each of the women through the men's perspective.

Maggie Wilken's story hit me particularly hard. I could feel each nuance of her disgust and pain, and how it changed as she aged.

haleyhunt's review against another edition

emotional reflective tense slow-paced

laurakateloves's review against another edition

dark reflective fast-paced

boofhead's review against another edition

challenging dark inspiring reflective tense slow-paced

notfrances's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

redhdlibrarian's review against another edition

The book should come with trigger warnings. There were #shesaid moments, a bit of Fifty Shades in real-life, and pivotal moments in women's lives. They are heavily researched stories around sexiula encounters that changed the women's lives.

Interesting listen.

#shesaid, graphic, Journalism.

espeonage's review against another edition

slow-paced

Laughably bad writing. A delicate subject hindered by an incapable writer