Rising Strong by Brené Brown

smarquardt9's review

inspiring reflective medium-paced

maximum83's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

npacitto's review against another edition

Not quite as Ah-ha as Braving the Wilderness for me but valuable tips and insights. As someone guilty of knee-jerk responses especially in email, one of the key lessons for me was to stop and analyze your feelings and intentions. How is your response being shaped by how you’re feeling? What do you want the other person to feel when they get that? If it’s to feel shame or embarrassment, are you being true to your own values?

The idea of recognizing “the story I’m making up is…” was great. There are so many miscommunications in today’s society. We don’t clear the air or confirm that our read of the situation was the intent. We bury our hurt and resentment and move farther from the person whose words or actions caused the discomfort. Or, we get angry and react to the story in our head rather than the actual statement/action/intention.

elizabethmichelle's review

Closer to a 4.5. I read this book at exactly the right time.

agrinczel's review against another edition

Another great Brene Brown book and I love listening to her read the books herself

abbyprinceatwood's review

This book came to me at a perfect moment, when I’m grappling with my own courage and vulnerability. I’m so grateful for Dr Brené Brown and her work.

kendragaylelee's review

This may be my favorite Brené Brown read so far.

It is not an exaggeration to say that this book transformed one of my oldest, most important relationships that had hit the skids. I am a right-fighter, and for this book to make me dig into the stories I tell myself, the ways I see things that support those stories, versus the reality of the situation--well, that's a tall order. And yet, here we are.

Now, when I find myself rehearsing a story in my head about what's going on around me, I stop and ask questions about that story. Just that act alone is enough to shift my perspective, to open it up a bit.

We are all in this messy life together, whether we like it or not. Understanding ourselves, interacting with compassion and integrity, makes the journey infinitely better. It gives us all a chance to tap into our power to find real change, personally and in the larger world.

My marked-up copy of Rising Strong is sitting on my bookshelf in close reach, for the next time I need my ass kicked into gear.

If you know me, or if you come into the store, I'm probably going to try to make you read Rising Strong. Consider yourself warned.

margyyy06's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

reydeam's review against another edition

Rising Strong is thought provoking and insightful—the writing is engaging.

Going into the book, I thought I would glean an idea here and there. I also thought it had high potential to be a dry read. I was wrong on both fronts. Brené Brown writes with relatable stories and research that brings her topic home in a manner that makes sense and is easy to read.

She encourages wholehearted living which knowing and believing that "I am enough". It means engaging life with a level of vulnerability, courage and compassion. She tackles head on the fact that we all make up stories to fill in the spaces where we lack knowledge. She encourages us to recognize when we are making up stories and to acknowledge these stories which then helps us to cultivate understanding rather than misunderstandings. She speaks towards failure, shame, guilt, hope, accountability, integrity, boundaries, connection, empathy, forgiveness and other important aspects of life — this may sound like a dull read but really it is not.

I found the idea of confronting our made up stories to be the most helpful along with the ability to recognize the ways we feel shame. But honestly, the entire book has created a way for me to look at situations in a different light that will hopefully allow for more positive outcomes than before.

This was my first Brené Brown book, I will be reading more books that she has penned. I now know that all the hype surrounding her writing is well worth the attention her books have received.

A few quotes among many that I liked:

"I believe that vulnerability—the willingness to show up and be seen with no guarantee of outcome—is the only path to more love, belonging, and joy."

"Connection doesn’t exist without giving and receiving. We need to give and we need to need. This is true at work and at home."

"Trust and mistakes can coexist, and often do, as long as we make amends, stay aligned with our values, and confront shame and blame head-on."

"When we stop caring what people think, we lose our capacity for connection. But when we are defined by what people think, we lose the courage to be vulnerable."

leery31's review