The Countess Conspiracy, by Courtney Milan

greymalkin's review

adventurous emotional informative inspiring sad medium-paced

Loved this one!  The characters were nuanced and had great chemistry.  In particular I loved how the heroine felt like a brilliant scientist instead of a character who spouts some technical terms to sound "science-y".  She actually thought about it at odd times, different moments would inspire new thoughts and solutions, her passion for the subject was clear.  I also love the way the ending played out.

SpoilerCourtney Milan neatly took the tired Noble Martyr trope and made a really satisfying story out of it.  I also loved that the whole reason the heroine resisted their attraction was completely legitimate and not some manufactured miscommunication or "lost letter" or any one of a million typical romance plots for the "oh no we mustn't!" fluttering.

lunarxcross's review against another edition

I really loved how Violet's issues were unpacked in the book. I loved that they touched on a women's place in the world, self worth, female intelligence and respect. I loved how Milan brought Sebastien and Violet from the back drop to the forefront. I loved how Sebastien's brother Benedict's issues with Sebastien were dealt with and hinted at. I had guessed what they were from the start, but I loved being proven right! I loved how Sebastien loved Violet and how he put her needs first and was selfless. He's a rake I can get behind.

I was delightfully surprised by Violet's mother. I thought I was going to hate her. I did not. She was fierce and uncompromising and protective.

I can't stand Lily. I just can't.

I'm looking forward to Free's book.

accidentalspaceexplorer's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

I really loved this. What a beautiful romance, and I loved all the random science! It's a little hard to suspend disbelief about the discovery of chromosomes happening at this time period, but otherwise it was a wonderful break from my current stress.

relin's review

challenging emotional medium-paced

kkhunziker's review

lighthearted medium-paced

jennystacy1212's review

inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

knitterscasket's review

emotional medium-paced

omantienlukija's review against another edition

Why are these so good? I'm gonna be so sad when I run out of Brothers Sinister books. No character is perfect but all are strong or find their strength. And the women are not defined by the men they choose but are strong and independent. And I think Violet's story is definitely one of my favorites in the series.

polestarneighbor's review

emotional funny medium-paced

melpomeny's review

sexually and emotionally dissatisfied housewives hate this heroine so it should be enough to make u wanna read it