Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

noodlerabbit88's review against another edition

adventurous inspiring mysterious slow-paced

stereofeed's review against another edition

adventurous dark hopeful inspiring mysterious fast-paced

shandyt's review against another edition

3.5 stars, rounded down.

I've always been a sucker for adventure stories built around puzzles—The Goonies, Die Hard 3, the Uncharted game series, The Da Vinci Code, National Treasure, and Indiana Jones 3 are amongst my favorite media (guilty pleasures, in a couple cases, but that's neither here nor there). Thus, the first time I read this book, I was taken in by the premise, and let myself get carried along without looking at things too critically. In the year of our lord 2021, I decided to give the book a reread. It... did not hold up very well. Between the excruciating 40-something-dude take on teen speak, the insensitive handling of cultural issues (no, 'seppuku' is not synonymous with 'suicide', for one), the tired and sexist romance tropes, and the cardboard characters, so much of the book is just cringe-worthy, even in this post-cringe-culture era. Even the parts that aren't, just aren't as satisfying anymore. I've spent the last several years learning how to build a fun puzzle experience through DM-ing D&D, and I can think of SO many more interesting ways to adapt classic movies into game scenarios than just having the player recite them line by line. Nor do I believe it would be possible for someone to do so on the fly without having seriously practiced for it—I've seen Inception 15 times and I can still only quote you the big moments with any accuracy.

Ultimately, if you grew up in the 80's and are obsessed with the culture, or if you're just not that concerned with the 'wokeness' of the media you ingest, maybe this book is alright. Otherwise, skip it, and just rewatch WarGames or play Adventure instead.

paigeavenue's review against another edition

leflambeur's review against another edition

If you were a kid in the eighties and have even a little geek in you then this is a good nostalgia romp. If you weren't around in the 80s then the story in itself is probably not strong enough in its own right to be a good read.

super_shawnna81's review

adventurous challenging tense fast-paced

annaroberson's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

yet another hyper technological future that will hopefully not come to pass, but so so good, really enjoyed and it was so engrossing

liseyrap's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny informative medium-paced

vern_mcd's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted mysterious tense

vkadic's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

The one thing this book had going for it is that it is a very fast read. If not for that I would have probably not have finished it.

The premise of the book I did find interesting but the execution I was not a fan at all. I do understand nostalgia, we all have it for certain things, I understand obsessions, I am an obsessive person when it comes to things I like but this book was just too much. I might have enjoyed all the 80s and nerd references if they were a bit more subtle and sparse. The characters I did not like at all. I didn't feel like any of them had any personality beyond their obsessions with the game.

There are a few good things sprinkled here and there but overall reading this book has not been an enjoyable experience for me. Since from what I heard the second book is not very well liked even by the people who liked the first I will definitely not be reading it.