Midnight, by Jacqueline Wilson

angourierice's review

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

2021 re-read [no rating, just review]

I chose to re-read this Jacqueline Wilson book because I remember it scaring the bejeezus out of me when I was eight. And to be honest, it still scared the bejeezus out of me as an adult. Violet is a lonely thirteen-year-old girl with an abusive older brother, a controlling father, and a downtrodden mother. And when I say abusive brother, I don’t mean Will is an annoying older brother; the way he manipulates her and bullies her is very sinister. He exhibits all the traits of an abuser; he’s sweet and kind one moment, and horrible the next. Conversely, Violet exhibits all the traits of a survivor of abuse; she constantly feels like she’s walking on eggshells around Will, she can sense when his mood is going south, she changes her behaviour to try and appease him. It’s an awfully vivid portrayal of an abusive relationship, and it upset me that it wasn’t resolved in the end. Violet is betrayed by not only Will, but also her new best friend, Jasmine. Though they both (kind of) say sorry, they don’t appear to have learnt their lesson. Not enough to not do it again. Will shows no signs of change by the end of the book, and we can assume that the family is just going to carry on as usual. When I was younger, the most distressing part of the book was how Will treated Violet, but now, the most distressing part is that I can only see it getting worse after the final page.

Though I appreciate the darker tone of Midnight, I don’t think it’s my favourite JW. Midnight reads more like a cautionary tale than a hard-hitting contemporary, and I can’t help feeling unsettled by the way the abusive relationships are left unresolved. I personally didn’t enjoy it as much as Best Friends or Candyfloss, but perhaps I’m still clinging onto my childhood fear of it.

cas_dexter's review against another edition

Grade: B

I am basing my rating for these childhood books on how much I enjoyed them when I read them as a child.

maisiehall's review against another edition

I got this for xmas one year and I loved it!

bookswithbain's review

re-read of one of my fav childhood books - still love it!

bourriquet's review

dark emotional medium-paced

helenephoebe's review against another edition

ISBN? – 9780385606059

Themes – Fantasy World / Friendship / Family / Abuse / Control

Recommend? – Interesting, but didn't really grip me.

rmtbray's review

lighthearted mysterious sad medium-paced

bookflix's review against another edition

My absolute favorite book from this author.

meganlouise815's review against another edition

this was disturbing what more can we expect from Jacqueline Wilson?

ainemurphy's review against another edition