Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, by Marjane Satrapi

spygrl137's review against another edition

Really moving. Simple but so much is unsaid and relies on feeling. The ending clutches your heart.

avscarlett's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad tense fast-paced

_micah_'s review against another edition

Book Story - Read in Seattle. I'm pretty sure I, um, acquired it from a Barnes and Noble while I was in the suburbs, while waiting to meet a craigslist ride before we drove across the US together. The ride blew me off, but I got to read the book/leave it for the house I was staying in.
I love this book - a well drawn, first hand account of what it meant to be a female in Iran during the 80's and beyond.

anthroxagorus's review against another edition

Everything inside me hurts right now. Beautifully written and illustrated with a huuuge history lesson.

rumbledethumps's review against another edition

A comics memoir of a childhood in Iran during the Revolution and the Iran/Iraq war. It is in the same vein as Maus, without the visual metaphors, but still really great. It was so good, upon finishing, I immediately went and reserved its sequel at my local library.

ohmymidnight's review against another edition

so far I can say this was a 4.5.

Great for immersing myself inside a new culture that I was unfamiliar with before - the pictures made it easier to grasp what was going on.

I can't give it a solid 5 simply because there was just so much that I didn't understand so I don't feel I got the FULL experience, however, it was a great book and I would recommend it.

**will come back to further review.

linhbui's review against another edition

dark sad tense fast-paced

sarahbowman101's review against another edition

This is the second graphic novel that I’ve read by Satrapi, after reading Embroideries last year. And while I love some of the drawings, I am never really drawn into the characters or really the story either. I understand the appeal, and I wholeheartedly approve of having graphic novels in a library. They do capture reluctant readers or offer an alternative to not reading for some. Just not for me.

whitecat5000's review against another edition

DNF. I read about 50% before I couldn't read anymore. It was a fascinating narrative on Iran's culture and history, but the art style, combined with the immature reflections was just a little too much after a while.

jessd07's review against another edition

I just love to learn about new cultures and time periods. I've never learned too much about any wars between Iran and Iraq as an American. I loved diving into a genre that I very rarely read (the only other graphic novels I've read are Maus I and II). Just waiting to read the rest of Marjane's story!