I'm Afraid of Men, by Vivek Shraya

wherepoetsdie's review against another edition

Holy shit, this was so, so GOOD!

I practically flew through this with an eagerness i rarely have had the pleasure to experience.
Vivek Shraya’s mind is brilliant. Her take on the gender binary, homophobia, transphobia, and misogyny are incredibly insightful and more nuanced than many observations of other feminist writers. Shraya’s dismantles fallacies and assumptions about gender with such an ease that you cannot not be drawn in by her arguments.
While this short text has fewer than 100 pages, it is substantial in a way that some 300+ pages books are not, as there is so much condensed knowledge and vulnerability in I’m Afraid of Men.
Frankly, I was quite disappointed when I reached the final page because I’m sure this book only scratches on the surface of everything Shraya’s mind has to offer.

I believe this is an essential read for everyone with an interest in non-fiction feminist writing and has a bone-deep desire to become a more understanding, compassionate human being.

caroline_reads's review

fast-paced

This spoke to me, but also -- for as much as Shraya has insightful and moving comments to make about her experience as a woman -- there is a lack of patient for those who have suffered wih being a woman for far longer than herself. There's still room for this narrative to grow and better articulate Shraya's compassion for others. Then again, the point of this is to be only about "I" and not about a 'we'.

mielenmaisemia's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective fast-paced

atria_reads's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

this book is so powerful and the author does an ABSOLUTELY brilliant job of explaining her thoughts and feelings. aside from finding quite a few instances relatable, this book opened so many new avenues for me to think about. a beautiful book and i 100% recommend!!!!

fromthebackofmybookshelf's review

challenging reflective

sophieelg's review

challenging informative reflective fast-paced

christcore's review

A decent essay on gender and misogyny. Listened to the audio in about 45 min.

sophia_chantry's review

catcreeture's review

dark emotional informative reflective fast-paced

kaelynmerrithew's review against another edition

A small book with a big message. I didn’t expect this to impact me as much as it did. The vignettes the author paints about her experiences with gender-based violence are short, but powerful. As a cis/white woman, I can’t even begin to fathom what trans* and non-binary people go through, but this book was a small insight into the fear they face every day. This book is short enough that you can get through it in 1-2 sittings, and for that reason alone I think everyone should read it and examine their own biases in the process.