The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Daré

meg_loves_books's review against another edition

challenging emotional medium-paced

maggielamaack's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective slow-paced

chkmebu's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced

I laughed, I shed a tear, and I experienced all kinds of emotions in between. Adunni was so eager and driven despite all odds being against her. I loved how clever and quick witted she was. Her descriptions of people kept me laughing. Adunni will probably stay with me forever.

krispet's review against another edition

dark hopeful informative inspiring mysterious medium-paced

sumad's review against another edition

Dnf - couldn’t go beyond p115

sairythefairy's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

stephanie_willis's review against another edition

Oh I loved this book! It was definitely sad, but full of so much hope! And definitely left me in tears.
This was only my second audiobook and the narrator has a thick accent, but I’m so glad I listened to it. I felt like the narrator brought all the characters to life.

roseleaf24's review against another edition

This book is SO good and hard and hopeful. The voice is so clear and strong,

devansbooklife's review against another edition

What an eye opening experience. This book allowed me to realize how fortunate I am to be a girl born in America. A girl with a voice and choices. A girl who has a chance to do anything if I put my mind to it. Abi Dare's debut novel tells the story of Adunni, a 14 year old girl born in a rural Nigerian village. Adunni has no voice, no future, and all she dreams of becoming is educated. She is sold of for marriage at the age of 14. This marriage money will pay for her family's rent. This poor girl is then sold as a slave. She lives in a world of anger, hurt, and greed. It is tragic and beautiful. This book is both vibrant and depressing. Things that I take for granted this young heroine would love to have. It left me humbled and thankful for my freedom. It left me thankful for love and the bountiful opportunities I have been given. A definite eye, heart, and mind opening experience.

aulimarie's review

Amazing book, intriguing plot. Strong character growth and brilliantly written as the narrator's English skills progress it is shown in the book's writing.