Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust

megdconway's review against another edition

_jacket_oil_'s review against another edition

hopeful inspiring fast-paced

elizabeth_its_liz_reading's review against another edition

I really liked the premise of this book and was interested in reading a retelling of a Persian epic. I thought it was a little slow at times, but I mostly enjoyed it. I liked the overall message, feminist vibes, and that there were a few unexpected twists in the story. I thought it was going in one direction and then it shifted in a much more interesting direction, which I appreciated. Though, I don’t think the story or characters ever fully pulled me in.

roeckitcody's review against another edition

The best YA fantasy of 2020. Calling it now.

nicolejames143's review against another edition

adventurous reflective medium-paced

tessaf's review against another edition

The further in I got, the less I liked it. I just did not get on with any of the characters' mindsets (too much darkness for me maybe).

pinknoface's review

Not for me, the romance takes too long to developed for a standalone and is just character work all the time

lorbach's review against another edition

manjala's review against another edition

This was such a beautiful retelling of Persian mythology and fairytales. I loved the creatures, religion and worldbuilding in this one!
At first I felt like it was going to be quite a predictable and standard YA novel (especially in the romance department), but I ended up being surprised at quite a few moments and turns the story took that I didn't expect. Ofcourse there were still some tropey moments or predictable elements, but they didn't annoy me that much.
The writing was beautiful as well.
I also loved the characters, but mainly I thought the villain's characterization was interesting. (He was similar in a way to the Darkling, but better (don't sue me)) The decisions and beliefs that conflicted our main protagonist were believable, and I felt myself rooting for the "bad guys" quite a bit. Because this is a YA novel, the themes it explored didn't go quite as dark or in depth as I had hoped, but I still think the author chose a very balanced way of writing the story. The ending felt like a rightful and complete ending to the story, and I was happy with the way the author chose to end the protagonist's coming to terms with herself and her powers.

A side note, I really appreciate the cover and title of this book now that I've finished it. It suits the book perfectly in my opinion! <3 The audiobook narrator also did such a good job at narrating and bringing the characters to life, I loved how she did the accents.

I'd say I recommend this for lovers of fairytales and/or mythology alike, since this is a quick read as a standalone!

valentina_l's review against another edition

hopeful inspiring relaxing medium-paced