Blessed Monsters by Emily A. Duncan

clairbear1989's review against another edition

I’m writing this review based on the actual book itself, not on the controversy of the author. I bought this before that all happened, and having this, unread on my shelf, was giving me anxiety.

The story flounders around a bit for the first half. I couldn’t get engrossed, the writing felt like it needed a good edit, and I was very confused. Potentially this is because I had such a big gap between reading book 2 and this finale, but also, I again felt like it needed an edit.

After 50%, I finally started to get pulled into the story a bit more and understand what was going on. It was a satisfying ending.

books4susie's review against another edition

This final installment started extremely slow for me. After about 150 pages into the book, the story really begins to pick up as our characters soon realize what their actions have caused. In a battle to save literally everyone and everything, all of the pieces of the story begin to fall into place. So glad that I did stick with this series.

may_books20's review against another edition

So. Confession time. I read 3 chapters: the prologue, chapter one, and the epilogue. And I’m done. I’m ready to wash my hands of this mess of a series. The books themselves were good, not going to lie. But the inherent antisemitism (that I only just found out existed here) in this series is too much for me to finish this book. With every word, I find myself hating the author even more. Listen, it’s “fine” if you’re racist or sexist or homophobic or whatever outside of your work. I mean, no one, especially someone entrusted with writing the tomes that will eventually describe our history, should look down on other humans for such arbitrary reasons (authors are supposed to be smarter than that!) but I can separate artist from art and hate the author without it affecting my view of their work. However, it is the cruelest of acts to write a novel with the EXPRESS INTENT of stirring wicked stereotypes and stoking horrible conspiracy theories. In short, fuck this author and fuck this series. Good day, sir.

flockandforge's review against another edition

dark emotional tense medium-paced

I loved this book and this series, I will 100% read this series again in my life. It is dark, twisted, there is romance and found family. The characters were heart wrenching and I loved them and their stories and the way they came together to save the world.

ameserole's review against another edition

Okay, so, yes - I dove into Blessed Monsters guys. Long before the drama came out to play, I knew that I wanted to see how this was all going to end. I fell in love with each book and the characters that I got to know.. so I just really wanted to see what was going to happen next.

Certain characters definitely wormed their way into my heart. I'm not even mad about it because I became very protective over them. Plus, shipping certain people kind of helped form a light at the end of the tunnel. I still think, however, that I deserved more romance from one ship because I freaking earned it.

As for the actual story, well, it's safe to assume that I actually ended up zoning in and out of this audiobook. Which is definitely weird for me to say because this never happens to me. So I would constantly pause and go back to where I was and just listen to it all over again. At times I think not a whole lot was happening and that's when I would start to zone in and out. Then at other times, I felt like so much was happening that my mind was to slow to catch up to it all.

Other than that, it was a good conclusion to this trilogy. Just like the prologue, the ending sucked me in and left a bittersweet feeling. I'm just overall happy that I was able to see this thing through and form my own opinion of it all. I can't wait to dip my toes into another dark adventure... wherever that book may be.

skyereadss's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

cas_the_second's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

mandi7mm's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

claudiamalmeida's review against another edition

It was still difficult to understand what was going on but the found family trope and their quirks were the best part

elizkacz's review against another edition

Tl;dr: "Fragmented passages in books don't paint a clear picture" (p 421).

Disclaimer: I had pre-ordered the book before anything came to light about Duncan because I always pre-order series I'm in the middle of. I have nothing new to add to the fact that Duncan is a bully who made racist statements. It's bad and reflects incredibly poorly on her. I can only hope for continuous improvement for herself and society. So let's get to the book.

1) My biggest complaint for the entire series is, "HOW DID WE GET HERE???" Each book of the story reads as if an editor went, "this is too long" and the Duncan proceeded to cut paragraphs filled with important details or cool battle sequences, leaving the reader wanting.

2) Duncan fails at reminding the reader who characters are and what's going on. I reread Wicked Saints last year when Ruthless Gods was published, but that didn't help. I wasn't going to use any more of my time on finishing this lackluster than necessary.

3) I should have known I was going to hate this book when the supposed selling points include cannibalism and swamp zombies. I don't see the need for the first and I think zombies are overrated. They also detracted from the plot, there was NO NEED for the zombies. Or really even the giant spiders. Fight me.

4) What's up with the "interludes"? If you can't get your main point across without deviating from the established POVs, you're doing it wrong (see point 1). Just make Rashid, Parijahan, and Katya main characters already. At least call their POVs chapters.

5) The Slavic (inspired? I'm not looking it up) words need translation. For the love of all things good, if you're going to include a foreign language in a book, give the reader a translation. Immediately. Unless you're trying to convey a language the character doesn't know and their confusion around it. I will die on this hill.

6) Is it too much to ask for clear flashbacks? Or at least ending a POV to write what happens in chronological order?

7) If we just look at the book series (and not the author), I think one of the biggest problems is that it falls flat. Duncan assumes we make the same conclusions as the story goes along, but because there's so much missing it all feels half-baked and I do not follow. To put it best, I'm going to quote the book: "when they brought their individual pieces together, there were too many gaps" (p. 349).

Serefin, Kacper, Rashid, and Parj are good. And there was a happy ending. So, there's that.