Ivy, by Katherine Coville

sallenreads's review

lighthearted medium-paced
A sweet book about a girl who refuses to be anything but herself, and the townspeople who learn to accept her oddities.

epieper's review

My 6 year old (boy) and 4 year old (girl) loved it. My 6 year old said "it was so much to read." My 4 year old said "I loved the dragon! And the new queen!"

jillcd's review against another edition

I loved the utterly adorable characters in this story. Throw in a griffin, a dragon, pixies, trolls and child queen and you have a great read ! So cute.

epieper's review against another edition

annsantori's review against another edition

Very sweet book . . . some tension, but quickly resolved. Lovely relationship between Ivy and her grandmother and an overall message of staying true to oneself. Younger end of the middle-grade novel spectrum.

the_enobee's review against another edition

My 5 year old absolutely adored this book, and my 12 year old eavesdropped most of the story. Cedric the Griffin is now lodged in our family memory. By the way, this was a prime book box selection - we’ve received two boxes over four months and the selections have been new to us and spot on for the age group. Highly recommend this book and we will search out more by this author.

absentminded_reader's review against another edition

This was a cute, charming chapter book, perfect for young readers. It was told in a simple to read manner with enough description to provide setting without the text becoming difficult for young readers. Despite being told in a simple, storybook manner, it was filled with surprises. Many of my predictions came true. Cedric did save the town to the delight of the queen, but I forgot about the dragon mentioned at the beginning of the book. I, also, didn’t predict that [spoiler] the townsfolk would abandon their fussy, priggish ways so that they could preserve their town’s reputation as the new Queen’s favorite fun town.

Simple tales can be easy to predict, which is why I like to guess outcomes as I read along. I want to see if the author has a surprise for me at the end. I’m happy to say that she did. This was a good book. What stopped this book from being a four star tale was the flatness of the characters. I’d give it ★★★½☆ if I could. However, I’m an adult. I know my daughters would have gobbled up this book when they were younger. There is a dearth of fantasy themed chapter books out there. Ivy will fill that untapped niche wonderfully.

heisereads's review against another edition

A sweet fantasy early chapter book. Animal lovers will enjoy it. A quick and easy read, just right for those starting lengthier chapter books.

shelbyl's review against another edition

Very sweet. Great read aloud for elementary aged kids.

librarydose's review against another edition

Great for fans of magical animal stories : upside down magic, Pip Bartlett. Sweet fantasy with magical creatures