Year of Yes, by Shonda Rhimes

awesomestacy's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book. Shonda is warm and funny and an overall delight. Did the message of saying yes to life really resonate with me? Not so much. It was amazing to hear about her transformation but in self help I want more specifics, more steps, more instructions. I want more anecdotes. My take away is do all the things, say yes except when you say no then say yes to saying no. It may have inspired me to say yes to buying new socks and also to maybe binging Grey’s Anatomy, but I think that’s where the yeses may have stopped.

edennm's review against another edition

3.5/5 stars.

effthecanon's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

kate7165's review against another edition

I read this by the pool on holiday. Having been a fan of Shonda Rhimes' TV shows I thought I would give this a whirl. Turns out, I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed every second of this book, such an easy read - exactly what I need whilst relaxing! Felt quite lost when it finished.
I may even take some of this on board in my own life.

bethmorre's review against another edition

I loved her reading of the book. I think listening to it on audiobook actually made me like it more than if I had just read it.
It also turned out to be a perfect book to listen to at the end of the year/start of the new year. Working on saying yes to more things this year...even if my yes’ don’t result in giving a commencement speech.

eliza_v_paige's review against another edition

This book was not for me. I thought I would like it but the more I read, the more I found my mind wondering and getting bored. To start with, I didn't like her writing style. It was too conversational and got annoying. She repeated herself a lot.

This is not a motivational book. It is her recollection of a year she made a promise to herself. It does not inspire because it is about her individual journey, rather than lessons. It felt annoying because the opportunities or moments of interest from her journey were very specific to her and it felt that she was trying to impose these expectations/results on everyone regardless of situation. This book would be better off as a memoir with more stories and less speeches. I honestly didn't get much out of this book and I'm glad it didn't take too long to read. I'm glad that Shonda stuck to her promise to say yes and embrace life more and that's good for her, but I didn't enjoy the delivery. It doesn't lessen my appreciation for her but, as I said, this was not the book for me.

kjf's review against another edition

Jumpin' Jehosaphat! Repetition much?? There were a few kernels of wisdom buried within the dramatic stream of conscious style writing but this was beyond repetitive and self-indulgent. Like, beat you over the head repetitive. The movie Groundhog Day repetitive. How the glorious hot sphere in the sky rises and sets every day repetitive. If those last 3 sentences annoyed the hell out of you, run far away from this book. Disclaimer: I've never seen any of Shonda Rhimes' shows (I have a thing about not watching shows that take place in a courtroom, hospital or the oval office). Her journey and wisdom acquired en route to success are interesting but this manuscript needed an editor's intervention or (ironically) a ghost writer.

booksyarnbeauty's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this book. Shonda is relatable, and my new friend (in my mind).

nfox_272's review against another edition

I didn't enjoy how she rambled on and took an entire page to describe something that could have been one paragraph. But there were a lot of good lessons to learn and it was fun reading about her journey creating some of my favorite shows!

tnflanders's review against another edition

ahhh. read it in one day.