The Rearranged Life of Oona Lockhart by Margarita Montimore

mmeagan's review against another edition

Oona Out of Order.
The concept: my cup of tea.
The execution: not my cup of tea.

Pros
thought provoking: How would living your own life out of order effect your personal growth or your relationships with others? Who would you be able to trust with your secret? Would you try to change your future?
the ending:
SpoilerI am a sucker for bookend conclusions and that's what we got. Oona has matured and come to except what's happening to her, sticks up for herself, and reunites with Dale.
Margarita Montimore accomplishes within these pages what she sets out to do.
pace: It's consistent.

Cons
characters: Oona was a very annoying & selfish protagonist. She whined and made really poor decisions throughout most of the book. I really didn't like her POV.
plot: Maybe its a occupational hazard of this kind of story, but I felt like there wasn't enough exploration of Oona's life/timeline. I really wanted to follow her leaps through more years but we only follow her through her first 7. A real treat of time travel stories like this is seeing how and why things turn out and Montimore definitely relied on telling not showing us. She outlines a lot of events that happen and we don't get to experience them. Like all he letters.
tone: Hard to explain, but this story sets this tone of self exploration through age and time and yet in opinion fails to leave a lasting impression. Maybe it's because Oona is more passive and reactive to her situation instead of being a catalyst and pursuing her own goals and and aspirations. The story drives her, rather that Oona drives the story.

Audiobook:
It was good. Helped move the story along and added personality and dimension.

lalaexni's review against another edition

funny reflective medium-paced

bookishbay's review against another edition

dnf page 28

cstaude's review against another edition

A truly different novel in every way. Not sure what I think of it yet. Enjoyable yet disturbing. Liked the main character and enjoyed seeing her find her way.

oliviagrace430's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective fast-paced

One of my biggest comfort rereads! I love following oona on her journey as she experiences life out of order. Jumping through time from one age to the next you get to learn the lesson alongside of her that no matter how you try to control your fate, life finds a way of surprising you.

I recommend trying to let go of the desire to logically think through the time travel, it doesn’t always make sense and definitely detracts from the enjoyment of the book (spoken from experience!)

rojesco's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad fast-paced

brigid33's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

christietilson's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

cam_shopaholic's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

gwoman's review against another edition

Almost five stars but felt the ending was weak.