Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson

jules_not_dead's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

abzhozay's review

This was such a wild book!! They way my jaw dropped the moment the suspense kicked in. What's sad is that I can really see this happening in real life in the music industry. And a lot of the times, black woman are victims who no one believes, always forgets, and neglected. Tiffany D. Jackson has done it again and I can't wait to read more from her!

caitiep92's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

nikkihp's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

bluflowers47's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

corvingreene's review

challenging dark sad tense fast-paced

This was an interesting book, and one I'll be thinking about for a long time. The gorgeous cover on display at my library led me to check it out, and it's such a compelling story of Enchanted Jones being groomed and preyed upon by a famous singer, inspired in part by R. Kelly's crimes. I can't decide what to rate the book, tbh. It was well-written, but also a tough read, dealing with SA and abuse. My heart was breaking for Enchanted, and I wasn't sure how things would wrap up. In the end, it felt like the final quarter of the book happened way too fast for my taste, but I'll definitely read this author again. I think I would have enjoyed this more if not for the specific triggers in the book. I should have done a bit more research in the book before diving in. It was a really tough read for me, emotionally, but also an important message about the barriers facing Black women when they try to come forward about these experiences.

pocabf's review

dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

thebookishunicorn's review against another edition

CW: mentions of sexual abuse, rape, assault, child abuse, kidnapping, and addiction to opioids

“She saw him disappear by the river. They asked her to tell what happened, only to discount her memory.”

blakeandbooks's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

TDJ does it again!!! I listened to this audiobook in less than a day. I could barely take my headphones off. This story is gripping, heartbreaking, and so moving. I was immediately drawn to Enchanted and how desperately she wanted her dreams to be reality. I can honestly say that even with the story beginning in the present and TDJ taking us back to the beginning for nuance, context, and incredible storytelling, I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen. I felt like I had emotional whiplash from everything that happened in this book. I was a wreck! It is so fast-paced that I felt like I could not breathe, until I knew exactly how the story ended. Enchanted goes through so much in this book, as does her family and friends 😭 Jackson is definitely a new favorite author of mine after reading this and The Weight of Blood. I cannot wait to read more of her work!

juless_07's review

This is a powerful book that I think more people should read. The only thing is that I was a bit confused about the psychological twist but other than that, this was a good read.