The Great Man Theory by Teddy Wayne

single dad joker

carolineconnect's review

challenging funny medium-paced

mouhy's review

As I sit here to type this review I can't help but be reminded of Paul's RealNews comments, aren't we all just chasing clout online after all even if we don't care to admit it? I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel despite what I thought felt like a rushed messy ending. No other contemporary author knows how to write envy/jealousy quite like Teddy. As in his other two novels that I've read, Apartment and Loner, he takes immense pleasure in humiliating his male protagonist that you just sit there as you turn page after page and wonder how wrong could it go for them? (spoiler: very wrong). Despite that, and immensely enjoyable as it was to read, I feel like this one is one of his weaker outings. I feel this story would've been better served with a less dramatic/action-packed ending.

dirtydima's review

"Teddy Wayne's 'The Great Man Theory' is a riveting exploration of contemporary society, deftly interwoven with insightful commentary on technology and the Trump era. Wayne's narrative artistry is evident, endowing characters with depth and resonance.

His penchant for Hollywood-style endings, as seen in both 'Loner' and 'The Great Man Theory,' may not universally satisfy. In 'Loner,' leaving the protagonist in obscurity could have added a layer of intrigue. Similarly, a more subdued resolution for Paul in 'The Great Man Theory' might have imparted a more poignant resonance.

In 'Loner,' the possibility of the main character remaining an enigmatic figure among us could have heightened the sense of discomfort and intrigue. Likewise, in 'The Great Man Theory,' Paul's fate might have carried more emotional weight with a less over-the-top conclusion.

In spite of this, Wayne's skill in delving into pressing societal matters and captivating readers remains indisputable. For those seeking a thought-provoking glimpse into our world today, this book proves a rewarding read

lilcoop71's review

I’ve really enjoyed his other books but this one didn’t quite do it for me.

leskatt's review

funny informative reflective tense slow-paced

rocketiza's review

Teddy Wayne is really good at writing books that make me feel uncomfortable.

suburbrat's review

3.5 but i am all over the place with this? i need to reflect

jbogerhawkins's review

I think the point of this book is supposed to be that the main character is a pretentious douche, but reading it was so painful I had to stop

magentabyfive's review

Shoulda read some of it before taking it out of the library. Nnnnnnnooooooooo