Catastrophe Queen, by Emma Hart

bookcaseandcoffee's review

De-café review of Catastrophe Queen by Emma Hart

**What is a de-café review** It is a quick snapshot review of a book. Nothing to in depth just the light basics of the story and I think it is worth reading. ****

Hot Damn Emma Hart you make me giggle out loud while listening/reading your books. I was looking for something fun and flirty to listen to while I do my daily walk on the treadmill. I wanted something easy to help pass the time while I walked to nowhere. Boy did you deliver.
Meet the Characters:
Mallory is one sassy, sarcastic and slightly klutzy.
Cameron- real estate broker, slightly a mama’s boy and not so klutzy
From Pink Flamingo underwear in the street at their Meet Cute to the contestant spilled coffee this book will keep you laughing. Throw in a sassy mouth Great Aunt and a grumpy grandpa just to keep you guessing what is next. Emma Hart has a way of writing her character that keeps you engaged completely. You will start this book and not be able to put it down. Do yourself a favor while reading this don’t drink a hot cup off coffee, than you would be like me and end up spraying it out in style.

jm_bibliolater's review

I am a big Emma Hart fan. Her books just make me laugh and laugh, probably because I too speak sarcasm.

Catastrophe Queen, however, is not my favorite. Mostly because it involves insta-love and I'm not the biggest fan of it.

Besides that, Catastrophe Queen is hilariously funny. Both Mallory and Cameron are likable. Both have crazy families. And it is technically an office romance which is a troupe I like.

For fans waiting a light, fun read - this one is for you.

anovelglimpse's review

Original review: A Novel Glimpse

Note: This review is for an ARC and is my unbiased opinion.

Catastrophe Queen was a breath of fresh air. Everything about it was amusing and delightful. Mallory was an accident waiting to happen. The things that she did or happened to her were hilarious. Her attitude about it all cracked me up. I loved that Cameron wasn’t put off by her ability to make an easy task a hazardous one. The way he embraced her chaos (professionally and personally) was sweet.

Heck, the entire story was sweet. Mallory and Cameron’s relationship had a natural progression to it. I adored them together. There wasn’t any over the top drama — unless you count Mallory’s catastrophes or her crazy relatives. I appreciated that. I didn’t have to worry about a huge problem between the characters. It was simply a fun, romantic read.

I mentioned Mallory’s relatives so I need to talk more about them. Her family was hilarious. I loved her freaky mom and quiet dad. I adored her crazy great-aunt and argumentative grandpa. They were so much fun! Mallory wasn’t the only one with relatives who stood out either. Cameron’s mother was just as meddlesome. I loved them all. The book would have been missing something big without them all.

Catastrophe Queen was simply an entertaining love story. I can imagine as a romantic comedy movie. It was that much fun to read.

bookbae96's review against another edition

Blog Banner photo banner2_zps0a9ef8c3.jpg

***4.5 Sweet & Sexy Stars***

When I say that I know exactly what I'm getting with an Emma Hart release, it's a good thing. Because, queen of the rom-com that she is, Emma always delivers with a story chock-full of giggles, snorts, lols, and, yes, the sizzle. CATASTROPHE QUEEN, her latest romantic comedy, satisfies at every level, with klutzy, lovable Mallory and her new boss, Cameron Reid, stealing my heart page by page.

One of the things I love best about Emma's books is that her heroines are smart and full of sass, and aren't afraid to use it. Mallory may be less than graceful, but she can absolutely hold her own with Cameron. And since he's not just a rich guy with a pretty face, once Cameron sees what Mallory brings to the table, the wick is lit and the slow burn to happiness begins.

Whether you're already a fan of Emma's books (and, if not, WHY not?!) or a first-time reader, CATASTROPHE QUEEN will hit the spot. Make a point to grab this sweetly sexy book and enjoy.

lauraanne9's review against another edition

***ARC Provided by the Author***

I laughed, a lot, while reading this book. And, while this was definitely a story about the relationship with Mallory and Cameron, can we all just chat about her family for a second? No spoilers here, but really, hilarious is the only word that comes to mind for her family...or nuts. That one works too.

This was more of a slow burn than I was expecting. But, not in a bad way and there was a lot of time spent with the developing friendship, which made the relationship work well once they decided to go from boss and assistant to dating.

Emma Hart's characters are always quirky, but still manage to feel like real people. This was no exception. I also love that, in her books, the quirky one is adored by the one who is a little more "normal" without the other wanting to change them. It makes it feel like this is a story about 2 people who were meant to be.

I enjoyed and recommend this title.

natsinbookland's review against another edition

funny hopeful fast-paced

carollee321's review

Funny cute romance read. I liked it.

leahsbooks's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

This was my first book by Emma Hart, and it definitely won't be my last. The audiobook version was fast-paced and fun, and the narrators did a great job, although the narrator portraying Cameron sounded a little older to me.

The story was hilarious, and I found myself laughing out loud multiple times throughout the book. Mallory is a character with quite possibly the worst luck ever, and as a life-long klutz, I could identify with her. I also liked the family dynamics, and the fact that both characters came from such dysfunctional, yet supportive families.

Workplace romance can be a great trope when done well, and I truly enjoyed seeing how Mallory and Cameron interacted while at work. However, I think that there was some insta-love that came into play, which is a trope that I struggle with. I felt that the romance could have been more believable if it was allowed to develop naturally. In addition, there was very little tension once the romance developed. It seemed like I spent the second half of the book waiting for the other shoe to drop and ... nothing.

Regardless, this was a light and enjoyable story with characters that were likable. I'm looking forward to reading some more of Emma Hart's books.

fatinrosnan's review

Quote:
"She was a lot like me in the idea that she was still figuring out what to do with her life.
We were twenty-five. We probably should have figured it out by now, but nobody was perfect"

jm_bibliolater's review against another edition

For fans waiting a light, fun read - this one is for you.