Wranglestone, by Darren Charlton

fauxbie's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

_grmlin's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted sad medium-paced

_dkerr's review against another edition

I had such a great time reading this book!

I think Charlton struck the perfect cord tonally--somehow light, yet giving gravity at the right moment--and I adored Peter & Cooper.

I do think there are areas that could've been fleshed out more--seeing more of Peter & Cooper together, more time outside the islands to see how bad everything was, more characters on the islands, etc., etc... but the thing is... I still really loved this book, even knowing some things could've been done better.

Honestly, it was just so nice to read a queer zombie book and feel joy. The change of pace as an LGBTQ+ was amazing. Also: the cover art is STUNNING.

james7634's review

adventurous lighthearted fast-paced

Emmmm….. it was ok. Tropes but it’s YA.
A smal community live on islands in wranglestone lake. During the winter the lake freezes and zombies are able to cross the water.

The protagonist is a gay 16 year old who has a crush on another gay kid. The community is open and accepting of their love which is nice to see

The zombies were a little creepy. The action was scattered and the plot seemed underdeveloped—-but it’s a YA book.

I liked the representation and the creep factor is the zombies. I found the love story sweet.

fastweeb's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

alieneme's review

fast-paced

amberlou's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

bex_knighthunterbooks's review

adventurous mysterious tense fast-paced

In theory, I loved the idea of this book, with its gay romance in a post-apocalyptic national park setting. Unfortunately, in practice, I found this good but not great - enjoyable but probably forgettable.

It was fast-paced, easy enough to listen to, and leant more into the action/thriller/mystery elements than its world building or character depth. I liked the idea of Peter's character - doing crochet at the end of the world, but beyond him I found most of the characters forgettable, which meant when betrayals were revealed they lacked any emotional punch. The plot worked reasonably well in the first half but then ramped up to an ending that felt rushed - packing in too many twists and chaos so that I didn't feel I could keep track of anyone's motivations (e.g.
Spoiler I couldn't understand why lighting a flare when the ice is frozen on the off chance someone sees it, and drawing the dead to the camp was a good idea and not just very reckless!
). I enjoyed the descriptions of the setting, general atmosphere, and initially the mystery elements. It was also refreshing that homophobia didn't really feature, and this wasn't a story where coming out and bullying were plot points.

I'm pleased I read this, but would probably only recommend to people that love the post-apocalyptic zombie genre and are looking for something light.

demetria_books01's review

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious sad fast-paced

hewigum's review