chezler24's review

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

I was not previously familiar with this author's works prior to reading this series of memoirs by her so it was interesting to see this person's life from youth going into adulthood. At moments, it was hard for me to fully connect with Ditlevsen and her choices; however, this could easily be explained by generational and cultural (and honestly just personal) differences. It was interesting to see the development of a woman writer and a poet as she had to deal with a poor upbringing, difficulties being taken seriously, and the expectations of a woman/mother. The turn at the end with the addiction and rehab kind of caught me off guard. Up until then Tove had been able to handle and work through any difficulties, but this particular thing (exacerbated by her husband's psychosis) really hampered her writing and overall quality of life until she was able to find a more stable sense of recovery. Collectively, this is a raw, intimate look into the life of an individual.

emilycm's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

with this being my introduction to ditlevsen's writing and life, i am certainly going to explore more of her other work now extensively. there's something so captivating about this set of memoirs, split into three appropriate sections, and i have so many words of how i feel about it. ditlevsen writes with a raw, unapologetic nature that's rough around the edges, but tender and vulnerable in the center. the feeling of this escalates by the third act, dependency, and i felt that everything was just spilling off the page, as if i was in the room watching this woman's life unfold; it's remarkably heartbreaking and beautiful all at once, and i am entirely enamored with her perspective and thought on these experiences she dealt with. there's beauty, pain, and the authentic experience of broken pieces of a life desperately trying to come together written so hauntingly. read this; it will change you.

okarenhelena's review

dark emotional funny inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

greyemk's review

adventurous emotional reflective slow-paced

I thought this book was excellent, but it also didn’t quite grab me like other recent books have. The prose was exceptional, especially in the childhood section. It read more like a novel than a memoir and I had to continually remind myself this was real. There was some weird pacing, and especially the end wrapped up really quickly. That said, it was still quite captivating and Ditlevsen is clearly an expert at observation of her inner state and it’s relationship with the broader world. I most related to her sense of being an outsider in conflict with her desire for normalcy, and in the quest over ones youth to find ones people.