Becoming, by Michelle Obama

matthewcline's review

One of my most recommended books right now, this memoir feels like Michelle Obama sat down in front of you to just chat about her life. Not pretentious in the slightest even when she was allowed to be, this is a fascinating look into her life.

elaineisxyz's review

I'll admit it, reading through this portrait of the Obamas and seeing what it was like to have two people in the office who actually cared about and try to improve lives... versus what we have now... I cried.

claireak95's review

This was a very good and honest memoir. Considering how famous she is, I really didn't know that much about her. I thought this book was very well written and was about growing up in an America that is fairly unfamiliar to me. It was also interesting hearing about Barack (I got annoyed with him when she talked about how he was messy and couldn't keep to a schedule and all that stuff) from her perspective. She was very transparent about how difficult it was for her to be raising her daughters while living in the White House, which I'm sure was quite challenging. That and how much of an inconvenience it was for anyone in their family to do anything out of the ordinary because it would stop traffic and add extra security to every location they visited. I listened to the audiobook and thought that the narration by the author was very good and added to the book. 4.5/5 stars.

gkendralla's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective slow-paced

marys_bookish_musings's review

I don’t really care for memoirs. But I’d heard good reviews and wondered about it. And I totally loved it! Michelle narrates her early life, education and falling in love with Barak with such compelling details that you can’t help but love each moment. At times sad and other times happy, it is always heartfelt.
Highly recommend

ishanijasmin's review

Wonderfully humble.

rileyreadsforfun's review

I skimmed it... prob should reread but I don't think autobiographies are it for me

roemfr's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

sixohsix's review

Oof. A perfectly boring story of one woman's rise to power based on two Ivy League scholarships. Perfectly encapsulating the neoliberal ideal that you will succeed if you just work hard. Meanwhile she ignores such things like how her hard-working father would probably have lived decades longer if he had access to functioning healthcare.

Her descriptions of the poverty of Southside Chicago paint a picture of a world that she inhabits but isn't a part of. Did she ever try or even see her friends try the drugs that are destroying her community? We'll never know.

Her patriotic visits to injured soldiers are never associated with questioning the American militaristic goals her president-husband maintains through his presidency.

This book is finely tuned propaganda that upholds the American dream while painfully ignoring the cracks in the story, or ever dropping any detail that would make the story feel real.

shareuhlin's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced