The Lights of Prague, by Nicole Jarvis

mannis's review against another edition

dark emotional tense medium-paced

ari767's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

kerriej's review

A pretty nice debut. The vibes were great, reminded me of my love for Penny Dreadful, and seems to be the type of fantasy I can get behind.
It was a tad long. Dragged in the first half and then felt like way too much was packed into the end. But my main issue while reading was the aversion to the use of pronouns. It got real annoying reading Domek, Ora, prjavice, etc 5+ times in nearly every paragraph.
Otherwise enjoyable. I’ll be interested in future books by this author.

elsiemary's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

kylerbooks14's review

fast-paced

This book felt very 2D to me but I did want to know what was happening plot wise.

bknds's review

dark mysterious slow-paced

jantzi02's review

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

mugsandpugs's review against another edition

I knew only one thing going into [b:The Lights of Prague|52591842|The Lights of Prague|Nicole Jarvis|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1579120871l/52591842._SX50_SY75_.jpg|72447158]: Bisexual vampires. Honestly, do I need any more reason than that to read something? It's already my cup of bloody tea! This is kinda what I'd hoped for when I read the (very disappointing) Serpent and Dove last year. I wanted a sexy, simmering enemies-to-lovers plot of a Bad Girl and a Good Boy in a historical European setting. This succeeds where S&D failed. Domek (the working class, vampire-hunting lamplighter, protecting the streets of Prague after dark) and Ora, the widowed, high-society vampire who wants to wash her hands of her species' brutal ways, have amazing chemistry. They genuinely like each other, and they're pretty cute together. And they actually fuck, instead of dancing around the issue for a billion pages. (Also Ora's queerness isn't a problem. She's cool with her sexuality; he's cool with her sexuality, they have mutual queer friends, so there's no tiresome gayngst going on.) There's a bunch of interesting plots afoot in the lamplighter brotherhood and in Ora's former coven, as well as among Prague's vampires growing restless and seeking more power... I hope the author intends to make this a series, as it feels like this book barely scratches the surface after setting up all the worldbuilding, and I'd like to see more.

azdanowski07's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

merricatct's review

I'm sorry to say this was a real disappointment. The premise sounds so great - 19th century urban fantasy about vampires and ghosts in Prague, and the secret society that fights them! So cool! But this was really let down by lack of intrigue or excitement, flat characters, and dull plot. The only character I really enjoyed was Lady Ora, and even she wasn't enough to keep me interested. Oh well, on to the next read!