bookharlot's review against another edition

Unsettling in the best kind of way

ecn's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

One of the best books I’ve read in SO LONG. It made me want to get back into reading fiction again.

idmercado's review against another edition

A New Favorite

I really love the direction this book went in. I wasn’t sure what to expect going into it, but I found myself NEEDING to continue to turn the page for the last third of the book to see what would happen next. The descriptions are very vivid and the author does a great job at setting the scene. I also particularly like her attention to detail in the characters' clothing. I’m not sure if it is BECAUSE she is so descriptive, but I found myself almost perfectly imagining all of their outfits (after having to look up a few of what the words were, since i am not familiar with some of the articles of clothing mentioned) and for some reason that really engaged me more as a reader, which has never happened to me before this book. I will 100% be recommending this book to my friends that haven’t read it yet, and after reading it now, I am almost sad it took me so long to finally read it! I will definitely be revisiting this book multiple times!

idealpages's review against another edition

Noemí Taboada is sent by her father to check up on her cousin Catalina after receiving a worrisome letter from Catalina that says her new husband is trying to harm her. As soon as Noemí arrives in the enigmatic and mysterious High Place - the house of Catalina’s new husband’s family, the Doyles - Noemí knows something isn’t quite right. Determined to help her cousin and get to the bottom of what’s happening, Noemí finds herself increasingly unnerved by the strange behaviour of the Doyles and High Place’s history, all the while being drawn to a quiet and gentle boy who seems scared for her.
Mexican Gothic is a slow burn horror with elements of fantasy that’ll make anyone think twice about sudden love and what it means to be a family.

Mexican Gothic is my favourite read of 2020 so far. The story completely ensnared me - it consumed my waking thoughts and I found myself come morning having dreamt of High Place and what was happening. I wanted to talk about it to everybody and anybody to share my theories about what was going on. Now I just want to run up to everybody and shout “you have to read Mexican Gothic!! It’s BRILLIANT!”

Noemí is the heroine of horror that women deserve to read. I admired her as a protagonist because she truly had depth - whilst she’s raised and acts like a materialistic socialite on the surface, there’s so much more to her. She’s astute and clever, with aspirations in life beyond what the male gaze pushes on to her and utilises what’s available to her to better help herself in a world that second guesses her, all the while being full of life and compassion. I desperately wanted her to succeed in her plans and survive whatever was happening in High Place.

Moreno-Garcia’s writing is exquisite and captivating. The only way I can describe how effective her writing is, is that satisfying and really glorious feeling of a cool beverage going down your throat on a hot summers day. I didn’t just see the mist rolling across the grounds, I could feel it. I could feel it’s cold caress - that’s how powerful this book’s imagery and immersion was for me. Not to mention how tantalisingly good the writing made the desire to uncover the mystery was.

”And Noemí couldn’t help but think that even though nothing was exactly wrong, something was definitely not right.”

The atmospheric nature was truly divine - one of the best I’ve read. It was gothic through the decrepit and aged yet mysterious High Place manor, it was eerie through the Doyle family’s behaviour and the atmosphere was enriched further with the possibility of deadly romance. From the get go, there’s a strange energy hanging over High Place manor - like an unspoken threat. This is only worsened by the strict rules and hostile attitudes of the inhabitants, which builds to a crescendo of pure suffocation. I was so invested in how it would all end, I couldn’t put the book down, and if I had to, I was beyond eager to get back to it.

Please know that Mexican Gothic is a slow burn. It’s rewarding because Moreno-Garcia uses it to build and build the atmosphere and the suspense so well, for it to be truly haunting. But I want readers to know it’s a slow burn so they don’t pick the book up when they’re not in the mood for slower building stories.

Mexican Gothic is a well developed horror, that at the height of the story feels disturbing, stomach churning and otherworldly. I loved every moment. I loved how the ending was a combination of a light at the end of the tunnel for the reader... yet there’s lingering questions that may make chills go down your spine. Honestly, Mexican Gothic possessed me and has consumed my heart by how much I loved it. It was the easiest 5 star rating I’ve gave, and I can’t wait to reread the story in the future. It’s perfect for fans of the movie Crimson Peak and fans of Laura Purcell’s work.

Thank you Moreno-Garcia for writing this masterpiece, and thank you to Quercus for allowing me to read an ARC of it.

rlarsen82's review against another edition

I thought this was great! There were so many things that drew me in that I've never really read about. A 1950s Mexico setting, the recurring ouroboros symbol, eugenics discussion, all tied together with a creepy story... very unique. I love a good haunting, and the actual house (plus the characters and the story behind it all), did not disappoint. Noemi- she's awesome. I can't wait for this to be developed into a Hulu series! Also... can we just talk about that cover?! GORgeous!

annwithoutane's review against another edition

Appreciated the general creepiness (tbh it could have been creepier) and how it weaved 'heavy' themes like eugenics into the fantasy genre, but aside from that, not very imaginative - felt like a meshing of different YA plot and dialogue. Also, it dragged on for far too long. The interesting bits are at the end and you have to wait a couple hundred pages to get there. I fell asleep listening to the audiobook multiple times during the first hundred pages and seeing as how I had no trouble understanding what was going on in the next hundred, seems like the book definitely could've been shorter and more compact while maintaining the same allure that it does

millarpa's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense fast-paced

ees5090's review against another edition

Definitely a slow build up but I enjoyed the atmosphere. Easy creepy choice for October.

reneesquared's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

dansmars's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

This book had me holding my breath at several points. Falls short from being a full five as the beginning is a little slow and the ending might feel a tad rushed. While I'm not one to usually go for stuff under horror, I enjoyed this particular story despite its flaws.